Show all comments on Confluence space opening page

petinko March 2, 2014

How is it possilbe to list all the comments related to a specific Confluence space?

This is a good practice to track all the activites in the space but I'm not able to solve it.

Thank you in advance.

9 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

Hi Boj,

Actually there isn't a way to show all the comments by default in a specific Confluence page.
The expand comment feature, is recorded by your browser's cookies. So if in this space you expand the coments to see all of them, next time you go to it, it will show expanded.

Cheers,
WZ

7 votes
Oliver Schoenborn February 4, 2020

I keep finding such basic features missing from Confluence. Seeinga list of unresolved comments is pretty basic, they are too easy to miss without that, and having to scroll through a page looking for them is error-prone and time-consuming. There should be a panel that can be opened with list of comments and you can filter resolved/unresolved and when you click on it the view automatically scrolls to that comment. In fact the menu item in drop-down should not be Resolved Comments it should just be Comments and should be a sidebar or similar (not a window over the text) and do something like what I just described.

The same problem exists with comments in bitbucket PRs. How can this not exist yet in Atlassian product? 

Such basic functionality should not be provided via third-party plugins, let alone non-free ones. Oh you need a door on your car? Yeah well that's extra, that garage one block from here has them. Seriously.

Scott Wojan July 29, 2020

Wow.  Honestly, I haven't used Confluence in years and this is spot on "I keep finding such basic features missing from Confluence." All I was trying to do was create several pages where people could add decisions about topics and have the decisions aggregated at a higher level page.  Can't do it with /decsion or even use the page comments.  Pretty basic need.  This product feels so clumsy and missing very basic functionality for a product of this age.  Very disappointed.

Like Kim Wallace likes this
4 votes
Stephen Skinner July 16, 2015

I think you can do what you are looking for with SEARCH. Try the search in your space (or maybe some doc somewhere) and you can see by choosing options you get syntax that will look something like this (note type and where is space-key):

https://site/wiki/dosearchsite.action?startIndex=0&type=comment&where=P0377

You can just make a "see all comments" link in your space with this syntax and Bob's your uncle.

Adam Locke April 13, 2016

Thanks Stephen! Quite helpful. I would add that the syntax for where should be where=pagekey, where pagekey is the Key value under the Space Operations page for your space. For example, if the Key for your page is AWS, then where=AWS in the URL. The following example illustrates the full URL syntax:

http://spaceURL/dosearchsite.action?startIndex=0&type=comment&where=pagekey

Like # people like this
Armando Mancilla June 7, 2017

Awsome!

It help me fix an - aparranlty - bug I've detected, where I'm not receiving notifications of comments on pages when I'm watching the whole space. Until I get a response from Atlassian about this issue, I'm gonna use this "search trick" ;)

Tks a lot!

Envitia December 19, 2017

This is a great workaround! Whilst it isn't the ideal solution from Atlassian, it provides us with a list of comments. Unfortunately, any 'out of the box' solution means you need to keep two windows open, one for your comments and one for the page you're editing (and whilst you do that you need to manually find the comment you want to address/resolve).

James Brooke February 19, 2020

Has anyone managed to find a similar way get the comments only for a specific page? Or ideally, any comments on pages that share a parent page, so that e.g. you could see all comments for a document with multiple sections?

I tried using the "With parent", "with ancestor", and "with title" filters, but each of them removes all the comments from the results.

2 votes
Megan Wray Canfield April 20, 2021

Everyone that's interested in this feature please visit this ticket and VOTE for this issue! The current status is "gathering interest."

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-34510 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-34510 

2 votes
Kevin George June 10, 2020

I've got a quick and simple workaround. 

1.  Edit your page and at the very top or somewhere appropriate add something like "View All Comments"
  2. After you publish, select the "View All Comments" and add a new comment
  3. You can then you the scroll functionality to scroll between comments
Mike Goulet November 13, 2020

We are trying to migrate our business to confluence more and more, and it is truly difficult to convince even the pro-confluence folks in the company (which I am still barely a part of) sometimes. We've invested heavily in confluence both in license and operation costs, and in efforts to change our business processes around it. If the anti-confluence folks internalize major deficiencies like this, it could mean we just ditch the tool. Google Docs keeps improving. Just sayin.  I guess I'm wrong for wanting to review feedback on my documents. Or maybe I'm wrong because I should not expect this feature to be free without a custom $10/100 user/month plugin that does this basic function.

ANYWAY... Kevin G. has a great work around here. In a similar variation, I found that you can create a dummy inline comment at the top of a document, then immediately delete it. Mercifully, the comment viewer widget on the right indicates a deleted comment, BUT you can still use it to navigate to the next comment. I'm sure once Atlassian realizes this useful workaround exists, they will remove it immediately. All this makes me wonder if they are unable to offer the feature because of some patent restriction. That's the only rational explanation to their blatant lack of such a basic and useful feature.

Like # people like this
1 vote
sjacobs@wrsystems.com March 9, 2021

Though not a solution to this problem (and it is a problem that's long overdue for attention),  I find this to be helpful:  you can override the default stylesheet (under Look and Feel in settings) to make the inline comments more obvious.  For instance:

.inline-comment-marker.valid {
border: 2px dashed #f6c342;
}

.inline-comment-marker.valid.active {
border-width: 0px;
}

This will add a dashed border (in the default "active" color) that makes is much easier to spot.

1 vote
Paul_Reid February 24, 2020

Cannot believe a show comments feature is not included! Would only expect this to be missing from a junk legacy product.

1 vote
Andrii Tkachenko _BeastieHut_ June 28, 2019

Hello!

You can refer to https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219786 plugin to form the table of comments (simple comments or inline (resolved/unresolved)) (if needed, from other pages and descendents).

You can add the macro to home page and see the comments for all pages in space (simple comments, inline (all or just resolved/unresolved)).

Hope this can help.

Thank you

Adnan Vilic May 20, 2021

Thank you, this was very helpful

0 votes
Stephen Kairys October 9, 2020

HI, I'm just getting back into Confluence after a couple of years In sever, am I correct in saying that you cannot view all inline comments at once? That you must iterate through them? Admittedly, we're on an old version 6.4.3. and plan to migrate to CLOUD soon.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events