Short version of page title just for the page tree?

Graham Hannington April 5, 2018

I use various software to write documentation. Some software allows me to specify different versions of a page title for use in different contexts. For example, for use in a table of contents (TOC) pane; in Confluence terms, the page tree.

Can I do this in Confluence?

Here's an example of why I want to do this. Suppose I have a parent page with multiple child pages. The parent page title is "Information security rules". A child page title is "Information security rules that are centrally managed". I would like that child page to appear in the page tree with a shorter title: "Centrally managed", or something like that.

That is, instead of:

• Information security rules
    • Information security rules for everyone 
    • Information security rules that are centrally managed

I want:

• Information security rules
    • For everyone
    • Centrally managed

(I can probably find better examples, if pushed. This is from something I'm working on now. The qualifiers "For everyone" and "Centrally managed" are "work-in-progress placeholders", subject to change.)

TOC panes are often narrow. And some software, including Confluence, truncates long titles in TOC panes rather than wrapping them. TOC panes inherently provide a "hierarchy of context" for page titles: if a TOC node has the title "Information security rules", then its child nodes don't need to repeat that context.

You might ask:

• Why don't you just use that shorter version as the page title?
  • If you're concerned about truncation in the page tree, but you want to keep the complete term "information security rules" in the title, why not (as you have already done in the shorter version) move the qualifier "centrally managed" to the start of the page title: "Centrally managed information security rules"?

Fair questions.

For now, though, I'm more interested in an answer to whether I can specify in Confluence a version of a page title that is only used for the page tree (well, okay: preferably, also the breadcrumb trail); and if so, how?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the suggestion! I have logged it below:

Please vote on the request to help show the amount of interest and you can comment there as well with your feedback, such as the information you provided above.

As for a workaround, it's not exactly what you want, but another user on this thread found a way to shorten the title to a certain number of characters using CSS.

Regards,

Shannon

Graham Hannington April 5, 2018

Thanks Shannon. I've voted on that issue, and added a comment with a link to this question (with apologies if that's an uncool thing to do; if it is, please let me know).

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi Graham,

It's completely fine! I did it as well, although you cannot see it due to my comment permissions.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events