Sharing an image throughout a space

Heather Dull February 20, 2014

I want to use an image on multipages and places throughout a space. The goal is that when we need to update the image it would automatically update the image on every page where it is inserted.

I have tried to use the insert image and the image URL but then when I reupload to replace the original image, it does not change the image on all the other pages.

Is there a way that I can accomplish this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Heather Dull February 26, 2014

Thank you @Steve Currie! For whatever reason, deleting the image and reuploading it with the same file name worked!

0 votes
Helen Griffith March 3, 2014

Hi... I'm getting the delay of which you speak. I think I am anyway. I've added the image to a specially created image page. I can add other images from that page to another page, but not my new image. How long is the delay normally?!

Steve Currie March 3, 2014

I don't think the delay is normal, but rather a sign of something wrong. The only place I observe it is on a test set up, and it gets rebuilt from the production snapshots often, so I suspect it'll go away with the next rebuild. So, in terms of how long it should be, I don't know other than "zero" in a non-snarky sense. Check logs and work with the system to figure out the cause, is all I can suggest.

Helen Griffith March 4, 2014

Thanks Steve... Sadly the image isn't appearing 16 hours later so there's a bit of an unacceptable delay! We're OnDemand so I don't really know how to go about checking logs etc. I'll have to find someone who does!...

Thanks again.

I think you could be right, Steve. I can now not see newly created pages when I search for them to try and insert a link. Thankfully they appear in the list Recently Viewed pages if I go and view them first so there is a workaround if not ideal. This has made me think that there is a problem with an index somewhere. I'll see how I go about doing that...

Steve Currie March 4, 2014

I might be a worth-while experiment to rebuild the content index (when the system is in low use). I have not dug into the delay because my 'production' install behaves properly (well, at least "in the desired fashion").

Steve Currie March 4, 2014

FWIW, the functionality I'm talking about is found via ... GearIcon -> Confluence-Admin -> near bottom of the left hand menu... Content Indexing

Alas, I don't have the icon... Need to make a plea to my manager :)

0 votes

Thank you @Steve Currie! For whatever reason, deleting the image and reuploading it with the same file name worked!

0 votes
Steve Currie February 20, 2014

This is described here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Displaying+Imagesbut note that upon adding an image to a page, there may be a delay from that point until the image is returned in search results. That delay may be due to a configuration problem, or perhaps it's "just the way it works" but be aware, either way.

I'm not finding this specific issue on the page you referenced. It tells me how to insert an image onto different pages but it doesn't tell me how I can edit/change that image across all the pages.

I just tested this with Confluence 5.1 and it works as expected. A few things to check:

• Be sure that the page that is hot-linking to the source image does not have any attachements on it (meaning, the attachment doesn't get copied to the referring pages through some bizarre means).
  • Force a browser page refresh (or flush the cache) and re-view the referring pages.
  • Go to the page with the source image on it, and delete the image attachement. Confirm that the referring pages show a broken link. Attach to the source image page a new copy (same file name) of the image. Confirm that the referring pages show that image.

My best guess at this point as to why you aren't seeing this fixed is caching. Depending on the browser, a force-refresh of the referring page may be sufficient.

If you delete the source image completely, and the referring pages still show the image, there is something suspect there. Maybe even delete the source PAGE completely and see that the referring pages show a broken link.

And for the record, the installation that exhibited a large delay in the search results is a test environment that is somehow corrupted, but in my production installation, the image is available in search results immediately.

0 votes
Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

Make sure your image is uploaded as attachment to a page. Then open the imagebrowser and then select search. There you should find it and the image can be located on every page in your space ;)

Yes. I'm able to insert the image onto multiple pages. What I want to be able to do is edit the image and have it change on all of those pages. So far when I edit the image, it updates the original image but the old image remains in all other locations.

Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

that sounds like a bug, which confluence version are you using?

Can you check what's on Tools > View Source on such a page?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events