Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting System Properties - Service

IT Support August 26, 2019

Hi,

Got a very large database down to the number of entries in the scheduled jobs, so we're trying to set the properties as per:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-system-properties-168002854.html

I've put the two entries I want (number of logs to remove and number of hours) when I do this the services doesn't start.

I'm putting the entries at the bottom of the java options:

propertyname=value

propertyname=value

So yeah, when I apply the changes, the service doesn't start. Can someone provide an example of what the options should look like?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2019

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out about your question on how to modify your java properties for Confluence. To understand a bit more on where this edit was made, could you please send a screenshot of the java properties you’re editing? Additionally, can you include the error that is presented either in the system log or the Confluence log when the service fails to start?

We look forward to hearing back to help find the cause of your service not starting when editing the properties.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

IT Support August 27, 2019

Hi Stephen,

The screen I'm modifying is the one in your guide:

The error message is just the generic "windows was unable to start the service". I was hoping you could just provide an example java options that I could copy and paste (obviously I'd just take the additions and not mess with the directory information in there) to resolve the issues we're experiencing with the scheduled job history (I want to delete a maximum of 20,000 entries and look at anything thats over 30 days old.

Thanks.

IT Support September 9, 2019

Hi Stephen,

Are you not able to just provide an example screen shot with the properties in place so I've got a working example to follow? We've got a smallish confluence application running and the database is over 1.5GB all because of the scheduled jobs table (well 2/3rds because of it).

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2019

Hello,

Thanks for including the screenshot above. Without knowing what options you’ve enabled within your service settings we won’t know what may be causing Confluence to crash on start. We’ll see to see any customized entries you’ve added to the service to find the cause of the crashes.

Without seeing the windows event log for the cause of the stopped service or any other log output as to why the service is stopping we won’t be able to find the cause. Please review the following to locate your Confluence logs and review them for any errors or caused by events around the time you attempted to start the service: Working with Confluence Logs.

If you are able to send over the options you’ve configured within Java, please let us know what they are and the Confluence version you’re currently running so we may test on our end to find the cause.

In regards to the database size, a 1.5GB database for Confluence is relatively small (large would be in the 80GB +).

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events