Service Desk/Confluence Best Practices

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2018

I'm setting up an instance of Service Desk and I am using the associated Confluence Space for the first time. I already have a bunch of pages written from when we developed the product but they are all in the internal space in confluence along with a bunch of other pages we don't want to expose to service desk customers. What is the best approach for managing these pages? I'd prefer to keep them in the same space they are currently in because internal users are used to looking for them there. Is there a way to expose certain pages to the SD customers without having to link the internal space to SD and then go through page by page to identify which ones should be public and which ones are private? Is there some other simple solution I haven't thought of? 

TIA!

-Kathy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

Hi Kathy,

Can you give a little more context around what kinds of articles were created when you developed the SD and Confluence spaces? 

From what I'm hearing, you have internal help desk articles mixed in with customer-facing self-help articles, and you're looking for a good way to delineate the two. 

If you want to keep continuity in the location of content for your internal teams, I'd highly recommend creating a separate external customer-facing space, and clone the needed pages over. 

The issue with applying individual page security is that it is time-consuming and you can't easily manage these at scale. The earlier that you distinguish the two Confluence types: internal and external, the less work this will be to maintain in the future. 

There may be pain in the beginning as agents transition into a new way of thinking, but I think the gains long-term are going to be better. 

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018

Thx, I figured that was the best way to go but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a sneaky trick to get around it :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events