Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching in Confluence

Ryan August 7, 2011

Hi,

I know i already sent this question to you but as of today i cannot locate it anywhere.

Anyway, my question is: is it possible to have confluence direct me to the exact location of my search?

example: i have a page (Aircraft) with several sections like Airbus, Stealth, and Tomacat. I used the search box in the upper right corner and typed in Stealth. Is it possible that i may be directed to the Steatlh section? or does confluence show the search results first. From my understanding, the search results are the pages related to the searched topic.

I hope i detailed them nicely. :)

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2011

This is not usually possible from a search. You can create links to a specific {anchor} on a page. Two alternatives you might consider are:

1. Make an index page of links to the subjects. This could possibly, sort of, be done automatically via the reporting plug-in or it can be done manually.

2. Break each of the sections of the page example you gave into separate pages. Then use {children} to display the tree. Make the Commercial Aircvrafts be a child page and Airbus be a grandchild, and so forth. The master parent page can be a subject of the search.

Note, you can enhance this via the use of labels or other specific strings on the pages that contain the master indicies or parent view.

If you want more fine-tuned suggestions, share more about your scenario.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2011

I don't think so. Usually your search will always find more than 1 page, so which page does it send you to?

Ryan August 7, 2011

Thank you for your reply.

yes. that is what i am pointing at. the search results points to the pages related to the topic or at least related to the search key word.

but i am asking if confluence can directly point me to the section i am searching for. (the section is only a part of the page not a page itself). in my example, i will be having the following table of contents:

I. Commercial Aircrafts

a. Airbus

II. Fighter Planes

a. Stealth Fighter

b. F16 Tomahawk

from my example above, i have all these topics in one page and i want to search and be directed to the stealth fighter section. is it possible?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events