Search returns pages with string only in page tree

John le Fucker January 13, 2020

Hi there, today I noticed that some results from Confluence search are really not relevant.

For example, I typed "hyper v" into search box and limited my search for single space.

In the outcomes, I got three pages that actually had "hyper v" in title or in the text. But below that, I found over 30 pages that never had this phrase in title or content but in visible excerpts I can see that phrase was found in page tree that is visible when the page is open.

How to avoid those irrelevant searches?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Hello John, 

Thank you for contacting us about this.

I'd love to test this more and see what's going on. Could you confirm your Confluence version, and if you're searching "hyper v" in quotes or without?

Regards,

Shannon

John le Fucker February 28, 2020

Hi there, i used both - with quotes and without. My Confluence version is Server 6.14.3.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

Hi John,

Thank you for confirming that. I'm attempting to replicate this on my end, but I haven't been able to. 

I created a page called Hyper V, and then on a new page I used the Page Tree macro that returned Hyper V as a result. When I search Hyper V, I only encounter the one page that has that phrase as the title.

Is it only the Page Tree macro that is causing this issue for you? You also mentioned excerpts. Can you show me the example of the pages coming up in search results and what's on the page?

Shannon

John le Fucker April 17, 2020

Hi there - sorry for late response. I would like to send additional info but it contain some vulnerable info. How can I contact you in other way than community forum?

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2020

Hi John,

No worries about the late response.

If it's an image, you can try annotating it to cover up any identifying information, while still sharing the example. I like to use Skitch because it provides a way to pixelate private data, but you can also just cross it out using any application that allows you to annotate your images.

If you aren't comfortable with that, then I would recommend raising a ticket with the Support team. Otherwise, any information you share here will be public.

Let me know if you have any trouble with that.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events