Search for "unknown attachment?"

Ed Hawco January 8, 2014

Hello. I use Conflluence (installed) for a software user guide. The software, and thus the user guide, is updated every month or so. For reasons I don’t want to get into, I include the relevant release number in the screenshot name (e.g., ColorPicker-7.3.png). That means I have to manually swap out the old screenshots whenever they are updated; as in, when I add a new screenshot it has a different name from the one it’s replacing, so it doesn’t replace automatically.

Most screenshots only appear on a single page, but a few of them appear on two or three different pages. When I delete an old screenshot and replace it with the new one, I have no way of knowing if the screen appears elsewhere, aside from actually paging through the entire user guide (or relying on memory or deduction). As a result, sometimes the user guide exists with “Unknown Attachment” errors here and there, until such time as I stumble upon them.

Here’s my question: is there a way to search for missing attachments (or “Unknown attachment”) items? This would sure make it easy for me to avoid this problem. But I can’t find any such tool or plugin.

Does anyone know if this can be done? If so, how?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2014

Hi Ed,

You can refer to this guide How to test for invalid links and images on Confluence pages by Bob Swift to achieve this.

Hope this helps!

Ed Hawco January 8, 2014

Thanks Jing. I'll check that out.

[UPDATE] Um. I had already found that page. It's about 2000% more complicated than what I was hoping for. So the short answer is that there is no built-in, easily accessible way to search for unknown attachments. :-(

That's too bad. Surely I'm not the only person who would find such a (built-in, easily accessible) tool very useful.

Isabell October 1, 2014

bump

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events