Search bar is missing

Filip Czerwiński March 22, 2022

After loading Confluence page I can see search bar for 0,1 sec, then it misses. I am not able to choose search bar, clicking the magnifier icon doesn't do anything, shortcuts ("g g", and "/") don't have any impact. (Btw. I also think the icons next to the magnifier are also bugged?)

My Chrome version is 99.0.4844.74. Problem appears also on Edge and Firefox.

#just updated Chrome to  99.0.4844.82 - didn't help.

Changing the resolution of screen and zooming the browser (ctrl +/ ctrl -) don't help.

It happens only in Confluence - for Jira everything works.

search bar.png

3 answers

0 votes
David Hartje July 14, 2023

Update: There was actually some custom layout code identified by Atlassian that when removed, the search returned as normal.  The custom layout code in our case was on the main page

#if ($userAccessor.hasMembership('confluence-administrators', $helper.action.remoteUser.name))#else    <script type="text/javascript">    AJS.toInit(function(){ AJS.$('#quick-search-query').hide();    });</script>

#end

Why this code recently started to matter when it had been there for some time before I don't know though.

___________________________________________________________________________________

From my experience this is not a browser issue.  I was able to identify the line of code in the search module that is causing the search bar to disappear after a split second.  I also found a temporary workaround, although there is a small residual "artifact" from it.

The temporary workaround is to place the following code in the "Custom HTML" "Header" for Crowd Data Center.  You will need to be an Administrator of course to see the Custom HTML option in the left menu pane:

<input id="quick-search-query" aria-label="Search" placeholder="Search" type="text" aria-haspopup="dialog" aria-controls="search_drawer" title=" (Type 'g' then 'g'OR '/')" class="">

After saving that snippet you can reload your confluence page and you will then see the search bar again.  The artifact is that you will see a search bar at the top left of the login page, and for a brief moment whenever you reload a page. 

I suspect this is a bug.  The offending code in the module is:  style="display: none;" 

0 votes
Nathalie Gasser July 13, 2022

We are having a similar issue here. Using our local server Confluence, the search bar is available. But when logging into a partner's Confluence, the search bar is not available. The partner's Jira page however works fine.

Could it be that their version of Confluence is using a function not available for our browser?

Filip Czerwiński July 14, 2022

Unfortunately I haven't solved the issue since March :( You have to get used to hahah

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

I suspect this is a specific issue with the chrome browser. Interestingly enough I just answered another question unrelated to this but associated with Chrome. My best advice is to use a different browser for now and report the issue to Atlassian support if it is repeatable.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

Oh... just saw it also appears in other browsers...

I assume that this behavior is the same for other users? Has this issue just started to appear? If so what has changed? You may want to speak to the administrator of your server instance.

Filip Czerwiński March 23, 2022

Yes, it happens on all browsers. Other users don't have such problem - it works for them. I work here for a week, so it's happening since my Confluence account was created

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events