Screencast videos on mobile devices

Liz Canham January 22, 2014

We'd like to embed videos hosted on Screencast for our software demo videos. Ideally, we'd like the user to access the page within Confluence and for the video to play automatically.

The problem is they won't play on mobile devices (IOS and Android) without the user having to download an app because they require Flash. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows of anything we can do to improve the user experience? Any help is very much appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liz Canham March 24, 2014

I'm surprised that no-one appears to be doing this. Due to lack of response I'll close this question as unanswered.

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

Hi Liz,

Actually Confluence doesn't have a macro that would support Screencast videos. However you could export the video as .mov and add to Confluence.

Cheers
WZ

Liz Canham March 5, 2014

We wanted to host the videos somewhere and link to them on the page within an iframe instead of adding them to the page as attachments. On mobile devices this could increase the amount of time it takes the user assistance page to load.

What would be the best hosting solution that works well with Confluence?

0 votes
BillA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014
Why do they need to be hosted by Screencast? We typically use unlisted YouTube videos for this.
Liz Canham January 27, 2014

We're using Camtasia to record the videos on the mobile device. We've tested YouTube, Vimeo and Screencast. We found with Screencast hosting the videos, they are resized better (without black bars down the left and right side of the mobile screen), are much better quality and we can use hotspot areas to link to other (appropriate) videos when it finishes playing.

Do you have any ideas how we can improve the user experience with the Flash problem?

Liz Canham February 9, 2014

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with Screencast videos?

Surely there are other people out there recording demos from a mobile device, hosting them on Screencast and embedding them on a Confluence page?

Janet Fisher May 3, 2018

Screencast is awesome because it supports the interactive features of Camtasia, so yeah, I'd love if it were supported. 

Problem is, how do you make it so that only the employees of a company can see the videos, without forcing them all to create Screencast accounts, or knowing the user name and password of a company-wide Screencast account (which wouldn't be very secure).

I'd much prefer it if Confluence removed the size restriction of videos, or raised the max size.  Then I could post tutorial videos, which are hard to keep to 50 MB.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events