Same user names in local DB and Active Directory - How to switch to AD?

Sascha Backes November 13, 2012

Hey guys,

our Confluence was restricted to a single AD group in the beginning (5 Users). To have more people collaborate, local users where created with the same username as in the Active Directory. Those users did also collaborate with articles. Now we want Confluence open for all users and therefore removed the group-limitations from the LDAP-binding.

What can I do to migrate/ remove my 4-5 local users and have them authenticate against LDAP? Removing is impossible according to Confluence, because, as said, they did write articles.

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2012

Dirk is right on his suggestion. If you change the directory order, your user will be authenticated against the first directory. If the username in this directory is the same as in other directories, apart from group memberships, all permissions will be the same for that user and content created will relate to him.

The general idea you have to consider is that the username is the primary key for identifying an user, regardless of the authentication method.

Sascha Backes November 19, 2012

Sorry for the late reply, but Peter's suggestion was right. Thank you all for your quick help!

Cheers

0 votes
dirkd November 13, 2012

Can't you just remove your limitation to one LDAP group and then put the AD before the "Confluence Internal Directory"? IIRC then first the AD will be used to authenticate.

0 votes
Hemal Udani November 13, 2012

It is actually very simple. Create the same account in the LDAP directory. And immediately delete the accounts in the non-LDAP directory. This worked for me with Crowd. If you are using Confluence only and not Crowd, this may not work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events