Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL handshake problem with Confluence connection to Jira User Server

Eric White November 9, 2015

I am connecting a test instance of Confluence with a production JIRA server.

I am trying to get the Confluence instance to use JIRA as a user server.

Below is the exception I receive from the connection test.  It is obviously encrypted.  

Connection works fine if I go directly through the tomcat non-ssl port 8080.

Connection fails with error below if I go through Apache port 443.

This is in the apache access log (notice the 403):

10.6.82.38 - - [09/Nov/2015:15:14:33 -0500] "POST /rest/usermanagement/1/search?entity-type=user&start-index=0&max-results=1&expand=user HTTP/1.1" 403 2084

Here are some config details worth noting:

• The production JIRA is configured properly.  
  • SSL certificate is solid.  
  • Tomcat server.xml for JIRA has the scheme, proxyName, and proxyPort configured properly.
  • Application link works properly
  • Both Confluence and JIRA are running the provided Java 1.8.0_60 
  • Confluence 5.8.13
  • JIRA 6.3.10

What am I missing?

2015-11-09 14:56:44,353 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-5] [crowd.embedded.admin.ConfigurationController] onSubmit Configuration test failed for user directory: [ JIRA Server],
type: [ CROWD ]
 -- referer: http://10.6.82.38:8090/plugins/servlet/embedded-crowd/configure/jira/ | url: /plugins/servlet/embedded-crowd/configure/jira/ | userName: testuser
com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@?U]o?6^T}??p?? ^X?^Tm???^F???:d
]?`?C ^X???"Y??????8r?^C?P^Y???y???`?^?2Tj^R^?^Q?d0?k^TdP8yg?B ?z???????????g?]?|?~z5^Y=?D-d~??d0?6 ???8 x^S?kXAkM&+p???h? ???? ???!{2XK-???????????G>??^E?Q?A??!G?5xb?L2S
????Uu!??YXgak\8??v^Yv???^B???~H???>?^??x- ?8?c^F!@V2YA???m?x?^@?v???w?D?Uf?;??c?,9?%?OQ???`??[?9????E??c??8????V^FD?P^D?}??k??-?^Bg?^U??5?1^X???>N???M ?sP ?D"?????^E ?^X?
x????^X*^V??L??oz?(??Qg? n^D7^Zi_?e/?+??*?^R W^D?????Hc??"??h^??A?w??U^X??C L?^F?0??P^V??(_?C?^Q?^Q??K?a? ??!C?????n?O?_??M??D?n/???^U??)?Z??^Ru??W???F?!?S?z%^C???^D:?5?D?
#???^W??^D???t?9???^d???$oF?^Zohz?";q???}^NY??6????w??`A?`t??T??^Z??G-J^E?[?x?C??m^S6?*?F}????92g?~;C?8*???s???^F"??9^V?5Q-???'C1;W?^N`g???ku?q>h?.?^D5??+?^B^U?t ?J-?g?jK?
E?&c??]????;?? $????^Y????#??s%%??$?>??^??v???????3?9?C\?O+?PESC?+?c-?:?????2G?/?#2??B??&; 1??U?@^E6 ???)?$a?/! ?O?S???????_:fNESC?x~^D?d??????;??1???w^A6?}?w??1??? ??^Xw?
^Q?^?n?^VH?]I?p??cV??????? ?^Dx??^O??????~g???l?KG???^CInp?.??"?^Z???t??L???^N? ?i3??S]?^G?ed???g^A:^Y????}n??.R?^X?????^?^A??o^W;^Y^@^@
        at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdDirectoryServiceImpl.testConnection(CrowdDirectoryServiceImpl.java:78)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eric White November 9, 2015

I figured it out.  The clue was in the Tomcat access log.  I expected the proxied traffic from Apache to show up in tomcat as coming from localhost.  I did not expect it to be the IPv6 localhost.

Adding "0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1" to the "IP Addresses" section of the Jira User Server configuration on my JIRA server solved the problem.  (I used the long name instead of the short-hand "::1" as that is how it appears in my Tomcat access log.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events