Running Confluence on a mac - having errors

Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Hi,

Yes, I know that running a local version of Confluence on a mac is not supported, but I hope someone can help.

When I installed Confluence I followed the instructions on this page to theletter https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF35/Installing+Confluence+Standalone+on+Mac+OS+X+from+Zip+File

Each time I try to start confluence I get the error.

Existing PID file found during start.
Tomcat appears to still be running with PID XXX. Start aborted.
logout

When I try to stop confluence I get the error.

Tomcat did not stop in time. PID file was not removed.
logout

I have tried restarting the mac and then I can start it, but it comes back again.

In my Conf Install Directory, the only log is the Catalina log that has this nasty looking error message

27/09/2012 11:36:56 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: The web application [] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap] (value [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap@528c4c14]) and a value of type [java.util.Hashtable] (value [{url=/homepage.action, userName=jodiem}]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
27/09/2012 11:36:57 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090

Any ideas as to what the issue is? Or which logs would help to discover what the issue is?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Delete the PID manually and try to start, at times on mac if it takes too long to stop the process itself is aborted and PID remains and that's what causes the error you mentioned.

Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Thanks for the answer, can you tell me how I find and delete the PID. I googled it but could not find much.

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

If you are running confluence standalone it would under work directory inside the install directory file name is catalina.pid

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

I looked for the port again and it was not there. So I just killed everything, restarted everythign and now it seems to work fine. So I now know how to recover and restart at least. Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

that's funny, do you see something in logs ?

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

So I killed the process and then restarted and it seemed to start fine. So that's one problem.

Now, trying to get to localhost:8090 just sits there forever.

I have no idea how to get this working.

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Yep, so even after I use the shut down command, the port is still open.

Doing sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i "listen"

shows me that 8090 is still open by Java.

(I have no idea if this is meant to be the way it works).

0 votes
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

At times you run in to such issues, it ain't that well supported on mac, I run confluence on mac and it works pretty well, so in this case kill the process holding the port and than try to start and ensure no one else is holding the same port.

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

OK, so I can now delete the PID file, but I am still having issues show up in the log file.

27/09/2012 3:23:53 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService initialize
SEVERE: Failed to initialize connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8090]]
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use <null>:8090

So, does that mean that something is not shutting down properly and freeing up the port?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events