Rotating photos in Confluence?

Deleted user June 11, 2012

So, while the image effects are pretty cool, it's not as practical as being able to rotate a photo...is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

14 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2012

Hi, check plugins.atlassian.com, otherwise, got to Jira and raise a feature request.

Dont forget to post the link here so people can vote on it :)

Regards, Josh

Deleted user June 11, 2012

Hey Josh,

Thanks. I checked the plugins and don't see anything promising. I don't use Jira...is there somewhere to request a Confluence-specific feature?

Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2012

Hi Amanda, I meant the Atlassian-Confluence Jira (your confluence should have a link in the footer - or check this wiki footer here)

26 votes
David Evans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 7, 2017

I have an answer! No plugin needed. I took portrait photos with my phone and then when I dragged the images into the page they all rotated to landscape. The solutions above had me downloading some kind of fix that needed to have JDK installed and when I did all that I found out I had to be the admin for the whole company, so no go. Wow that was frustrating. BUT using this simple hack I was able to get the images into the page in the correct orientation without the plugin. Here's what I did: I opened up all the images from my local in Mac Preview and just roated the images around using the rotate image command. I rotated them 360 degrees. This reset the image marker in the image metadata. When I dragged the images into my page they were all perfectly in portrait. This could work for PC maybe I assume.

Adam Pryce November 8, 2017

TL;DR; Rotate the image 360 degrees and save

Like # people like this
Nolan Johnson (@nolan)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2018

This works!

Daniel Scott
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 10, 2018

Works perfectly!

Abhijith Rao
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 26, 2018

Phew! Thanks! 

rish
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 10, 2019

Great! Thanks.

Suvro Biswas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 26, 2019

Converting pictures to .PNG works. No plug-ins needed. 

Like Meaghan Rea likes this
Jan David Narkiewicz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 23, 2019

Rotating the image 360 degrees in Paint worked. 

Franziska Seibel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 29, 2019

Perfect. Thank you.

Anja Kennedy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 7, 2019

Worked for me, too. Nice find!!!

NicMaree November 6, 2019

Thanks so much for this completely illogical but very effective tip!!!  I dragged from Mac photos to desktop, rotated 360 and they worked.

I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 29, 2020

Thank you this worked for me too.

mr_snow
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 23, 2020

Please don't rotate images 360°--it just makes them dizzy.

Instead rotate just 180°. Obvs.

9 votes
Tanya Davis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2016

This is really disappointing to find that you need a plug-in to allow rotation of an image in a Confluence page. Especially when you import the images in portrait and it rotates it to landscape. This feels like a bug Atlassian should remedy. Being able to share images is a really important feature with collaborative wiki.

6 votes
Juergen Lanner April 6, 2018

I surely would expect confluence to value the EXIF information about the picture's rotation ...

Ignoring this is rather poor.

Deleted user July 5, 2018

Juergen Lanner is 100% right. Honoring EXIF rotation information isn't a feature. Lack of handling this basic file format feature is a bug. Like supporting audio file attachments by playing them to the user backward.

Like # people like this
Christian Stampfer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 11, 2018

We have the same issue with images after release update from 5.10 to 6.9. Suddenly portrait fotos are displayed in landscape in hundreds of pages. This can't be fixed manually

Like # people like this
3 votes
Oleksii Chyzhyk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 8, 2018

Changing format from jpeg to png worked for me

Craig Hunter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 2, 2018

Nice fix, thank you.

Claudia1977
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 21, 2018

This works for me too. Thank you.

Patrick Rowan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 12, 2018

Thank you.  Saving the files as .png worked for me too!

Liam January 20, 2019

Opening the file in Paint and immediately Saving without making changes and without saving as .png (which was a much larger file size) also worked for me.

I can't believe Confluence doesn't have a function to rotate images...

Like # people like this
Yiḥezkel Jason Schoenbrun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 12, 2019

This is the only thing that worked for me.

Tangentially, my situation is presumably different than most. I specifically turned my JPEG upside down (for a holiday month when we say things are "topsy turvy"). But JIRA kept being smart when I uploaded it and rotated the image to be right-side up. It finally worked when uploading the upside-down pic as a PNG

Jonas Losell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 12, 2019

Yeah. I tried different methods but converting it to png worked the best. What a fantastic feature. Errhhh. not. 

Whatever, I got my picture in confluence in the end. 

2 votes
Lucas Simon December 5, 2016

Hello there,

You don't have to pay for the Add-on.

* [Rotate Images for Confluence|https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.tngtech.confluence.plugins.rotate-images/server/overview].

I've just tested it out after you insert an image, you will be able to rotate it left or right.

Best Regards,

Lucas Simon
Confluence/Crowd Support
Atlassian

Tomi Tenetz February 7, 2019

I am surely not going to suggest plugin installation to already skeptically thinking middle aged engineer colleague who resists using Confluence already, as any change is bad for him. Please fix the bug. This is insane that one can not rotate a photo uploaded to Confluence. As if you had a test editor where you can use only small caps.

1 vote
Tomi Tenetz February 7, 2019

his is incredible. I have been a big fan of Confluence for the last month as it has helped me to generate a nice information portal for our organization. There has been resistance though and people keep picking up faults in Confluence just to resist any sort of change. And when I end up realizing myself, that I can not rotate a photo in Confluence, my trust starts to crumble as well. No plugin will help, as I am surely not going to suggest already negatively thinking middle aged engineer that he needs to install a plugin to his confluence so that he can see our engineering photos in orientation he wants to.

Gilda Hallinan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 27, 2019

I am having the same problem.

Any rotation apps in the marketplace are for the server version - not cloud, so this is useless to us.

Also, rotating the image and saving then re-uploading is not working for me.

I have also tried suggestions of renaming to .png and back to .jpg - nothing has helped.

The oddest thing is that the image on the Confluence page is not rotated correctly. But when I click on it and it opens in the overlay, the orientation is accurate. 

What's going on here? I'm getting motion sickness having to tilt my head just to see images properly.

Please look at this - it's been going on for years now lads.

Thanks

1 vote
AndreasS April 19, 2016

Please check out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.tngtech.confluence.plugins.rotate-images/server/overview for easily rotating images. And its open source ...

1 vote
ioannis April 14, 2016

Hey there everyone, 

So you are saying to me that we are using a world known programm for team collaboration where in many of us is  the bible of the company and this software can not ROTATE photos and furthermore I have to buy an add on in order to rotate the photos I paste in Confluence .. 

Hmm ... 

1 vote
CelesteCS April 1, 2015

Hello,

The laser-sharp solution for you is CelesteCS Image Lossless Rotator.
It rotates images lossless, which means the image quality and file size are not changed. Additionally it can rotate images automatically based on EXIF orientation tag. Plus, EXIF data is not lost, so you will not lose the information, where the proto has been made, after rotation.

Thanks!

0 votes
Brett Moody June 16, 2020

Confluence dropping the ball again. Incredible how Atlassian publishes these apps with essential features.

0 votes
Manon Brouwer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 18, 2019

Just [CMD + R]

That's all! :-) 

Mike Lowe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2019

Beautiful. Thanks!!!

0 votes
Phil Armstrong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 9, 2018

In Windows I use paint.net to open each image and then save as JPEG over the top as a lower quality (more appropriate for a web page but not so low as to look bad)  Then I drag the photos into Confluence and they look the right way up and are reduced in size so load faster too.

0 votes
James Lyle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2018

My co-worker and I have discovered the following workaround (and this may seem silly):

Open the image in your editor prior to uploading. Rotate the image 360 degrees and save it. After doing this it should upload in the correct orientation. Worked for us. Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events