Roles in Confluence

Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2019

Hi Confluence Team,

we are currently implementing Confluence and Jira in our company. For permissions in Jira we use a permission scheme and a small set of roles (reader, editor, poweruser and admin). This works nice as it allows project admins to invite people to their projects simply by adding them to a project role. No work for system admins at all.

In Confluence we are currently using groups (three groups per space for readers, editors and admins). In every space these three groups share the same set of permissions. I would appreciate roles in Confluence too. As this would allow project admins to add users to their project spaces easily.

Our current method is everything but agile as it forces us to create three groups per space and to add or remove users to/from these groups each and every time a project member joins or leaves a project. Global user management always requires a system admin to be involved.

When we allow project admins to add individual users to their projects then they have to toggle all permissions each and every time manually. This is error prone, as project admins sometimes don't understand the implications of certain permissions.

Is there a plan to add permission schemes and roles to Confluence? If not consider this as a feature request.

Kind regards
Florian

3 answers

0 votes
Marina March 1, 2021

This request looks similar: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59228

I already voted for it, recommend others to do the same.

RitchieLiu May 18, 2021

Let's vote for it. 

Like Yana Stoliarova likes this
Yana Stoliarova May 19, 2021

It is closed:

We regret to inform you that due to limited demand, we have no plans to implement it in the foreseeable future.

0 votes
Christoph Schemel February 26, 2021

There is too little demand for that? I can´t believe that. It is very annoying to add everybody who is allowed to see an article and to make sure every time a new article is launched permissions are regulatet. I just can´t believe there is no way to automate this. Is there?

0 votes
Saif
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2020

Hello Florian,

I can understand your requirements to allow roles and permission schemes in Confluence.

There is already a feature request I could find in our system: Role Based Restrictions but due to limited demand, we have no plans to implement it in the foreseeable future.

To give an insight of your requirement to developers, I have added this community thread on the feature ticket as an internal comment.

Thanks,

Saif

Marina November 23, 2020

Hi Confluence support, 
i regret you closed the issue as "WON'T DO". We have only 3 space permission roles, and our Space Administrators are struggling to give edit rights to 20-40 users checking every other checkbox. As well the overview of user access rights is not so nice. Due to this fact, Space administrators tend to just click "Select All" permissions, and as a result every user is a Space Administrator!
Is there may be a new issue where you are gathering feedback for the same / similar feature?
Thanks
Marina

Lauren Vozel March 7, 2023

Hi Confluence support,

My org is having a similar issue where each individual user must be added to each space manually and check each mark. For large migrations and new spaces, this has been a heavy lift for our site administrators and space administrators. Is there any other future plan to address this as I can see there is demand here?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events