Revoking access to org & site admin - and removing as technical contact

Louise Croneborg-Jones December 28, 2022

We need to remove the access of a member that has left the team but still has org & site admin access. However, this is not possible in the administration dashboard. 

This team member is also the technical contact for billing, but I am unable to remove him here too. 

What do we do? 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2022

Hi @Louise Croneborg-Jones 

You'll need to be an Org Admin to remove another Org Admin - then you should be able to...

1. Go to admin.atlassian.com
  2. Choose your Org, then select the tab Directory from the top menu
  3. Locate the user and select their name to enter their profile
  4. Select the breadcrumbs in the top-right (3-dots icon), and select "Update organisation role"
  5. Select the hyperlink to remove their organisation role

Once their Org Admin is removed, it's easier to remove the rest of their access - you can then...

• Remove Group Membership from site-admins, and any other relevant Admin Groups
  • Ensure their product access is revoked, including from Product Admin roles

---

I've assumed above your instance users the "new" user management system. If it doesn't look like this though, try the following instructions for the "classic" user management experience:

1. Go to admin.atlassian.com
  2. Choose your Org, then select the tab Settings from the top menu
  3. Select Administrators from the left-hand menu
  4. Remove the relevant user (this removes their Org Admin)
  5. Next, go to the User Management section - easiest method is to go via Jira/Confluence; Settings > User Management
  6. Locate the relevant user
  7. Change their Role to Basic, and remove all relevant product/Group access

---

In terms of the Technical Contact, assuming you can view the products on my.atlassian.com, you should be able to:

• Add a new Technical Contact
  • Make them the Primary Contact
  • Remove the old Contact

---

Let us know if any of these work for you - or if not, please provide more specifics about your scenario so we can advise further!

Ste

Louise Croneborg-Jones December 28, 2022

Thanks Stephen. 

When I go to admin.atlassian.com, there is no org to select. I come straight to the list of people with access (mine is set as "Site Admin"). 

Nor do I see the "new" user management system, and the options for the classic system do not appear.

Hence, I cant follow the steps in the instructions :(. 

Can the outgoing member make me org admin instead? 

Cheers, 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2022

Hi @Louise Croneborg-Jones 

Of course! Apologies, I thought they might have already left based on the original question.

It's much simpler if the Org Admin/Technical Contact is still available - in that instance the user can...

• Make you an Org Admin (using whichever method above works)
  • Make you the Technical and/or Billing Contact

Once you are the Org Admin and Tech/Billing Contact, you can:

• Revoke the user's Org Admin directly
  • Make yourself the Primary Technical and/or Billing Contact via my.atlassian.com
  • Remove the user as a Technical and/or Billing Contact, once they're no longer the primary

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events