Restricting The Ability To Add Pages

Andrew Jobling April 24, 2012

I am a very new Confluence user (I like it!!!) and have recently had a space set up by IS to act as a repository for the Group's standard operating procedures (SOPs). I am one of the space administrators for this area. The space has a pyramid structure of pages with Divisions followed by Departments, Teams, Functions and finally the actual SOPs. I have worked out how to restrict users ability to edit/view areas within this structure. However, where an individual has been granted the ability to add pages so that they can add SOPs to their areas of the business, I cannot work out how to restrict their ability to add pages to to higher levels of the hierarchy.

Structure Example :

A Top Level Finance Division Division

B Next Level Finance Department Department

C Next Level Finance Operations Team

D Entry Level Reconciliations Function

I want the relevant users to be able to add pages/SOPs at level D. My problem is that whilst I can grant them access to add pages using individual users area of the space admin function, this means that they are also able to add pages at levels A, B & C. I would prefer to restrict their ability to add pages purely to the team that they work within. I have looked at the manual, but have not found a section that supports this restriction function. It is entirely possible that I'm not being too bright and that this is an easy fix, but I've tried several approaches and cannot get it to work as I would expect. Help!!!

2 answers

0 votes
Mark November 21, 2012

I have exactly the same problem. Did you already find a solution?

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

As far as I know this is not possible (Correct me if I'm wrong). If you want people to be able to add a page you have to grant them the "add pages" permission on space level which means that they are going to be able to create subpages on every page they are allowed to view. You could restrict the viewing permissions similar to what is being desribed in the Confluence documentation but I guess that's not what you want...

Often there are cases for which a section of a space should be opened to a group or set of users (for this example, we'll call them group B), but the rest of the space should not be visible to your main users (for this example, we'll call them group A). In this case:

1. Add 'view' permission for both groups A and B in space permissions.
  2. Move the page to be opened to the root of the space. When browsing the pages in the space, your normal space home page and this page should both be at the root level.
  3. Add a page restriction to allow Group A and B to see this page.
  4. Add a page restriction to your main landing page for Group A, thereby excluding this set of pages from Group B.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Restrictions

We are using RefinedWiki by the way which comes with categories which make it pretty easy to "group" spaces.

Nevertheless, if there is no way to achieve this we could raise an improvement issue.

Cheers,
Christian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events