Restrict who I can tag/@mention in Confluence

Sandra Meessen March 5, 2019

Hi, we have in Confluence separated our customers from each other and from our internal users. Now I noticed that customer A can "tag" @(@mention) customer B in a page where he has no access to. Customer A can select the tagged user and look at his profile (1).

We also noticed that Customer B does not receive a notification for this tag. That means he can not select the content from which Customer A is tagging him. That is good (2). 

Question to (1): how can we restrict the tagging to only those users with access to the page the comment belongs to?

Question to (2): am I correct that there is no notification and no link in this case?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2019

Hello @Sandra Meessen 

Here's an open ticket about this issue which will make this more clear

Problem Definition

User mentioning is possible for any users on the instance, regardless of the page you are mentioning on. This causes a problem if you've mentioned someone but they don't have permissions to see the page, and so they won't see your comments. The user does not get any notifications.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-35796

1 vote
Duy Anh Do August 20, 2023

Hi @Sandra Meessen ,

You can use this plugin to restrict the @mentioning to only users in some specified groups, which you can define in the configuration.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225447/confluence-browse-people-permission?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Cheers,

Sebastian December 8, 2023

5.000 Euros for this plugin seems to me like a mighty big price for what in my opinion should be basic functionality of the standard system. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events