Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring confluence with backup SQL database

IT Support May 16, 2022

Hi,

I currently have a database backup from an on prem Confluence server installation. This is a SQL Server backup and was taken before it crashed. I also have the backup files from the Confluence home directory. 

I want to setup a new on prem Confluence server on a different machine. I was wondering if it's possible to restore the old data to this environment with just the files in the home directory and a SQL Server backup? 

Sincerely,

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

@IT Support You would basically be doing this -https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-to-another-database-148867.html   The only difference would be setting up the Confluence instance first.  This would be done link this https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html

So basically you would do the following (simplified):

1. Install Confluence, same version you will restore, on new server.
  2. Restore DB
  3. Shutdown Confluence copy directory files from old instance to new instance
  4. Update Confluence DB connection from new DB install to restored DB
  5. Start Confluence and troubleshoot any issues.
IT Support May 18, 2022

@Brant Schroeder ,

thanks for your help. I tried the steps you mentioned. When I tried to restart Confluence, it was unable to. I got the following popup:

service restart.PNG

I went to the System Event Log and found the reason why it's failing:

event error.PNG

It mentions the system can't open the file, but I'm not too sure what file it's referring to. I checked the config files and they're all there. I was wondering if you know what file it refers to when trying to restart the service?

Sincerely,
Jason

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

@IT Support I am assuming you installed a fresh instance of Confluence and got that up and running.  I am also assuming you copied files from the old instance.  All the files you copied most likely have permissions set on them by the old server.  You will just need to make sure that they can be read on the new server by the service account running confluence.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events