Restoring a backup to a new version of Confluence Server

Dennis Baker March 5, 2021

My company has been using Jira / Confluence since 2008.  I've setup Confluence Server at home ( License Type Confluence (Server) 10 Users: Starter License ) a few times over the years.

Last week my server's SSD died, but I have nightly backups saved to an HD.  I installed the latest version of Confluence Server and restored just fine, but I'm in a licensing limbo as my license expired years ago and I can't renew my currently license or purchase a new one.

I don't want to use Cloud as I keep all my family's personal information in our home confluence server.  We have 10 years of information of everything ranging from health information to vacation notes.

Has anybody else run into this type of problem and come up with a solution?

I'm bummed about the timing of it all as I really love Confluence Server.  If only I would have lost my SSD a month ago...

3 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2021

Hi Dennis,

Your (now expired) Starter license does allow perpetual use of versions that were released before the license expired. You should be able to check the date that the license's maintenance ended at https://my.atlassian.com from the account that originally purchased the license.

Then it's a matter of downloading the latest version your license will work with from the download archive , and restoring the backup to that install. Each release on the download archive should have its release date next to it - any version released before the end date on your license should work.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Baker March 6, 2021

I've reached a dead end.

After downloading Confluence 5.7 and jumping through alot of hoops to get it running with the current Java DevKit, I'm unable to proceed.

I get as far as the "Enter License" stage.  

If I generate an evaluation license, I get, "The license you entered is not valid for Confluence Standalone. You will need to install the Confluence Data Center edition of Confluence to use this license."  It wants me to install the latest version of Confluence Server.

If I enter my 5.7 license I get, "Confluence support and upgrades for this license ended on 03 Jun 2014. This license is not valid."

:(

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Could you provide the SEN- for that license?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Baker March 5, 2021

I'm going to try installing the version of confluence that I was using (5.7).  After using the 7.11 installer, which was amazingly simple, I really wanted to avoid using all the old stuff but it looks like that's what I'll have to do...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events