Restoring Wiki pages from 3.3 into 4.2 loses markup

Daniel Glenn April 17, 2012

I intend to move to OnDemand, and therefore at the same time upgrade to the latest Confluence (and Jira).

To practice moving our Wiki pages I installed 4.2 locally and imported the backup generated from our 3.3 instance.

It seemed to go smoothly, but the formatting has not been respecting in the copy.

For example, I have a shopping list page in the old one where the markup looks like:

*{+}Pending{+}*
* hefty Torch (small one already purchased)

In 3.3 this gets displayed as expected (Pending is bold underlined, "hefty Torch.." is a bullet point)

When restored into 4.2, the page displays as:

"*{+}Pending{+}* * hefty Torch (small one already purchased)"

i.e. it is displaying the markup rather than parsing it as formatting instructions.

Is there some backup or restore option I am missing?

Additional information that may be useful. If I find the content in the entities.xml from the backup zip it looks like:

<object class="BodyContent" package="com.atlassian.confluence.core">
<id name="id">753671</id>
<property name="body"><![CDATA[*{+}Pending{+}*
* hefty Torch (small one already purchased)]]></property>
<property name="content" class="Page" package="com.atlassian.confluence.pages"><id name="id">688136</id>
</property>
</object>

Any help appreciated,

Dan

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

Hi,

you are trying to upgrade, basically, from V3.2 to 4.2. So you should read the upgrade notices on Confleuce 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, .0 and 4.1 and follow the official process

(see : http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrade+Notes+Overview)

I did not find it just now, but somewhere, it was said, the best way to do it is to restore old backups is to them to a 3.5 instance and then perform the upgrade from 3.5 to 4.x using the installer-embedded upgrade assistant.

(See : http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence#UpgradingConfluence-UpgradeOverview)

On a sidenote - you are aware that many plugins are not available on "on demand" ?

Regards, Josch

Daniel Glenn April 22, 2012

Thanks Josch, after upgrading to 3.5 first, then exporting from there into 4.2 it worked correctly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events