Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset admin password in confluence self-hosted

Mechlin_Abhishek May 22, 2018

Hi, I forgot my Confluence (self-hosted) admin password and I tried to reset by following this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-158390.html

I followed there steps:

1. Stop Confluence Windows Service

2. Edit <installation-directory>/bin/setenv.bat and add the following system property

set CATALINA_OPTS=-Datlassian.recovery.password=Temp_pass123 %CATALINA_OPTS%

3. Start Confluence Windows Service

4. Log in to Confluence with the username recovery_admin and the temporary password I specified in the system property. 

But unable to login.

Error message: 

• Sorry, your username and/or password are incorrect. Please try again.

4 answers

1 vote
Jonathan Siberry December 17, 2018

Hi

I had exactly the same issue and can report that setting the JAVA variables work

The https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-158390.html is confusing at it suggests that you need to run it using the start-confluence.bat yet however it then states if you are using windows services then you cannot do this which is not true

Steps to re-set password

1) Edit the setenv.bat file and add in a recovery password:

set CATALINA_OPTS=-Datlassian.recovery.password=admin

2) Set the JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME variables

3) Restart PC

4) Ensure atlassan windows service is not running

5) Open command prompt as Administrator

6) navigate to and run the start-confluence.bat in the bin folder of the install directory

7) tomcat messages should appear, wait a few minutes for everything to load

8) If it wont start due to not being able to access a jarfile then manually run the jar file

9) login as recovery_admin and the password set in step 1

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2018

Hi Abhishek,

Please make sure you are using Confluence 6.5 or above. If you are using an earlier version please follow the password recovery article that corresponds to your version. The docs only go back to Confluence 5.10. If you are using a version earlier than that, please use the SQL queries from the Confluence 5.10 document.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 12.32.37 PM.png

You mentioned nothing happened when you used start-confluence.bat to start Confluence, in an Explorer window using "run as administrator". The expected behavior is a command window will open with Tomcat start-up messages, then Confluence becomes available in a browser. If you close that command window, Confluence will shut down.

I look forward to your next update.

Thanks,
Ann

I just installed latest version (6.9.0) few days ago on Windows 10 system and trying to recover admin password by this documentation link. Below is a screenshot of steps:

confluence-steps.png

I don't no why start-confluence.bat not executing when I run it just blink a console windows nothing else.

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

Windows

Collapse

If you installed Confluence as a service, you can Start Confluence Server and Stop Confluence Server from the Windows Start menu. 

You can't start or stop Confluence manually using the start-confluence.bat and stop-confluence.bat file.

Collapse

If you didn't install Confluence as a service you'll need to start and stop Confluence manually.

• To start Confluence run <installation-directory>\bin\start-confluence.bat
  • To stop Confluence run <installation-directory>\bin\stop-confluence.bat

We recommend running Confluence with a dedicated user account. To do this, use use the runas command to execute start-confluence.bat.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

How did you install your Confluence?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

@Mechlin_Abhishekanother info:

It is possible to start Confluence Server with user installed add-ons temporarily disabled. This is useful if you need to troubleshoot problems with your site, particularly if an add-on may be preventing Confluence from starting up successfully.

To start Confluence with all user installed add-ons temporarily disabled:

> cd <installation-directory>/bin
> start-confluence.bat /disablealladdons

To start Confluence with a particular add-on temporarily disabled:

> cd <installation-directory>/bin
> start-confluence.bat /disableaddon=com.atlassian.test.plugin

where com.atlassian.test.plugin is the add-on key. To disable multiple add-ons, use a colon separated list. Regex/wildcards are not permitted, the full key of the plugin must be provided.

These parameters are applied at startup only, they do not persist. If you want to permanently disable an add-on, go to

I install Confluence by downloading the .exe for Confluence Self-Hosted Server

atlassian-confluence-6.9.0-x64.exe

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

@Mechlin_AbhishekDid you install it as a server administrator? or after creating a service account?

I got this error

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin>start-confluence.bat /disablealladdons
Disabling all user installed addons

To run Confluence in the foreground, start the server with start-confluence.bat /fg
'\rem' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
2018.05.23_ 2.02.43
2018.05.23_02.02.43
Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined
At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this program
C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin>start-confluence.bat
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

it is very important to define.

I really apologize I am more a Linux person than Windows, however I will assist in the best way I can

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2018
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2018

@Mechlin_Abhishek Setting the JAVA_HOME Variable in Windows is another doc like Fadoua linked. Have you been able to set it? 

The SQL queries in the older version of the document  are another option if starting from the batch file proves too problematic.

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Trying to help as @Thomas Schlegel is off today.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Are you using the Confluence Internal Directory or an external Directory?

I just installed latest version few days ago on Windows 10 system. I am not sure about Confluence Internal Directory or an external Directory.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

@Mechlin_AbhishekHow do you add users so that they can log in to Confluence? AD? Crowd? JIRA Internal Directory?

On Confluence setup time, it prompted me to manage user by JIRA or by Confluence itself, than I prefer Confluence to manage the users not by JIRA.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

I will need your patience here @Mechlin_Abhishek in order to assist you in the best way we can. Are you using any other Atlassian tool? How familiar are you with Confluence Administration?  The reason I am asking so that we can share links that will help you more.

I am familiar with JIRA and Bitbucket.

First time I buy a licence for Atlassian Confluence. I am not much familiar with Confluence but familiar with some same kind of tools. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Thank you for all the details @Mechlin_Abhishek

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Hi @Mechlin_Abhishek,

the documentation says:

(don't start Confluence as a service)

Thanks @Thomas Schlegel for your comment.

I installed Confluence as a service. When I stop the service than website not reachable http://localhost:8090. Please advice how can I start Confluence without starting windows service.

Nothing happened when I start Confluence manually using  <installation-directory>/bin/start-confluence.bat also tried run by administration.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Are you using some kind of wrapper software to start Confluence?

No nothing

What should I need to use?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

stopping and starting Confluence Service itself shouldn't affect your windows server at all(it shouldn't stop your server)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events