Remove organization administrator product access

Bessa October 30, 2019

Is it possible to revoke confluence product access to the ORG & SITE ADMIN? He only uses Jira Software so there is no need for him to have an account on confluence.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

Hello Luis, 

Thank you for contacting us about this!

By default, when a user is added as an organization admin, they are added to the site-admin group for all sites associated with that domain.

The licensing for that group is based on your site's settings. For example, here are my settings for my site-admin group:

CleanShot 2019-11-01 at 16.25.50.png

You can either:

1. Change this so that site-admins don't automatically get access to the products you don't want them to be licensed for.
  2. Or, you can remove the user from the site-admin group, and then add them only to the Jira administrators group (If you want them to be a Jira admin). 

Note that if you leave the site-admins product access as-is, and remove your user from the site-admin group, then they will no longer be able to access site settings, such as Users.

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Bessa November 4, 2019

Hello,

I did remove them to be automatically added to products, but now I can't remove access to ORG admin.

Screenshot from 2019-11-04 09-47-42.png

Is it possible to change this?

thanks

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello Luis,

You can follow the steps below to remove access:

Under If the user is an org admin:

1. Go to your organization at http://admin.atlassian.com
  2. Click in your organization name
  3. In the left menu, click Settings > Administrators
  4. Find the user in the list and click Remove

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Like G subramanyam likes this
Bessa November 6, 2019

Hello Shannon,

Let's get back to the original question, 

"Is it possible to revoke confluence product access to the ORG & SITE ADMIN?"

I don't want to remove a organization admin, I want him to pay what he uses.

The org admin just uses jira software, then i don't want him to be is confluence users list, is that possible?

Like Filip Callewaert likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2019

Hi Luis,

My apologies for that - I checked with the team regarding this, and the only solution to keep the user as an org admin but remove their access to Confluence would be to remove the site-admins group from Confluence access entirely.

Administration.png

As a result of this, by adding a user to site-admins group they won't automatically get Confluence access. If any of your site admins need to have access to Confluence then you need to add them to the confluence-users access group specifically.

Can you try that and let me know if it helps?

Regards,

Shannon

Like Bessa likes this
Bessa November 7, 2019

Thanks Shannon!

I manage to do it, actually i had already removed site-admins from product access. but I was missing to remove administrators from administration access of confluence which gives product access necessarily. 

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Luis

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2019

Hello Luis,

Thank you for letting us know! Just to confirm what you're saying, you were able to successfully resolve the issue on your end? 

You mentioned that you had to remove certain administrative users from Confluence Administrators group to revoke their access. Am I understanding that correctly?

Regards,

Shannon

Bessa November 11, 2019

Yes i did!

In the "Administration Access", it was configured to confluence the group "Administrators" then all members of that group are given product access.

Regards,

Luis

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2019

Thank you for confirming which setting you changed, Luis!

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events