cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove erroneous custom HTML

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Hello,

I added erroneous HTML to the Custom HTML section in Confluence Administration (shame on me) and now I can't rectify it, because I'm locked out.

Is there a possibility to remove all / the specific custom HTML directly from the confluence installation?

Greetings,
Kirstin

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Thanks for your reply, Amalia.

I tried that, but the bug I introduced, resulted in an empty browser window. :) I forgot an </script> tag and the whole page body was considered as part of the script.

Finally, I found someone in our company with knowledge of mySQL and we removed the faulty script via an SQL update.

Now, one question came up to me: Shouldn't the editor of Custom HTML check for such simple errors that have such big consequences?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

You should always test things like this in another instance. Even if jira checked for closing tags and so on, it couldn't catch all logic errors. A simple check would just give a false sense of security.

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

Happily enough it was our staging instance of confluence I messed up. :) But nevertheless, it gave me some embarassment.

I agree, that user can't exspect a fully-featured HTML editor in Confluence, but I also think that some essential checks to avoid lock-out problems wouldn't be just convenient but necessary.

1 vote
Fred Bunting October 16, 2014

Just wanted to add my agreement that it is not acceptable that the 'Custom HTML' editor seems to have no checks whatsoever on the code entered.  It does not have to be a full HTML-syntax checker, but the fact that a missing </script> tag can render your Confluence instance irretrievably hosed, has been a long-standing problem from Confluence 2 through Confluence 5.

A Restore to Default button would also be nice ... for those of us who can see the editor, but can't edit the text boxes.

0 votes
Abilene Cruz July 29, 2013
Thanks Kirstin. These steps helped a lot. :)
0 votes
Abilene Cruz July 29, 2013
Hi Kirstin, Would you mind sharing the sql script you used? Thanks!
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2013

Sorry, Abilene. It's too long ago, we couldn't reconstruct the SQL statement.

My colleague who has mySQL knowledge told me that he

• made a database dump
  • searched for the faulty script in this dump
  • looked for the BANDANAID of the database record, containing the content we wanted to remove
  • applied an update (which removed the custom HTML) to this database record with this BANDANAID

Hope that gives you a hint.

0 votes
Amalia
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2013

You can navigate your browser directly to <confluence-url>/admin/viewcustomhtml.action to delete/remove the custom HTML

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Confluence+URL+list

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events