Release date of confluence 4?

Can anyone let me know if there is a final release date of confluence 4 yet?

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Atlassian doesn't publish release dates in advance. <--- lol at the official atlassian response

Penny Wyatt Atlassian Team Jul 13, 2011

Atlassian doesn't publish release dates in advance.

Speaking personally as a QA engineer - although teams are usually working towards some kind of a target date, in the end you get a better product if the "OK! Ship it!" decision is made based on whether it's reached a desired quality bar, not a fixed date. It's the old "Time, Scope, Quality - Pick any two" triangle :-)

There are a lot of significant changes in Confluence 4.0 - with the new editor and storage format - so the Confluence team is working very hard on making sure it's right.

The last thing that Atlassian want is anyone saying that Confluence used to be a good thing before they introduced the new editor in V4. It's a major innovation that hits every user; I expect they'd rate the editor usability and reliablity at non-negotiable.

wats with the countdown clock then? :)

Back in the day, the lag between "We're done coding" and the actual release was the time it took to upload the binaries to the website and write the announcement email. These days the ship is a lot bigger and there are a lot more people and things that have to be set in motion. The countdown clock went up about the same time we knew what the release date was. :)

As mentioned in the Confluence State of the Union at Atlassian Summit, Confluence 4.0 is a scope based release, not a time bound release.

Introducing a new editor is an enormous change for users and we need to make sure we get it right before shipping it to our customers.

We hope to ship Confluence 4.0 by the end of the quarter (end of September). That's our current goal.

Confluence 4.0 has been released:

http://www.atlassian.com/c4

have they fixed that bug that was in the beta with the code block thing that deleted the contents when u edit the first line?

Can't reproduce - must be fixed.

where u type editing, try adding a new line at the top, then delete the misterious space that appears in front of the origional first line

excellent news! :) nice job guys :)

Hehe - nice question. I bet you won't get an official answer (except just before the release). ;-)

If I were a betting man, I would bank on a deadline of EOQ. With that in mind, the week of 9/19 seems as good as any week. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

473 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you