Relationship between Confluence Spaces and Projects

Greg @ Data Reno March 25, 2021

I'm just now evaluating Confluence as an online tool for collaborating on requirements docs with my clients.    Traditionally, each of my client's request for help becomes a project - a self-contained package of work with a final product contained by a record in my Projects database, a project number and a directory on my dev machine.

I'd like my clients to connect to their 'project' in Confluence and read/comment on designs etc. so I need to be confident that I'm isolating each client to only their project.

So i'm struggling to understand the structure - the relationship, the framework -  that lies behind Spaces and Projects .... can Confluence mirror how I implement projects?

I've read the Confluence Getting Started guide but I'm more confused by its mixed use of "Spaces" (89 mentions) and "Projects" (17 mentions).  

More than happy to read up, if I can be pointed to the good info.

Most grateful for any guidance.

Greg

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

Hi Greg @ Data Reno , it can possibly be done, depending on your specific requirements.

"Project" will refer to one of two things when in the Atlassian ecosystem- a workspace in Jira for one or more teams, or else the more broad/traditional definition of a large task/initiative.

Where Jira has "Projects" as the workspace, Confluence has "Spaces" and these Spaces often hook up to Jira Projects as a repository for information or as a collaborative planning tool, though they can exist independently as well for whatever you may define your project as.

Permissions in Confluence are handled at both the Space-level (permissions to identify who can access content in a given workspace) as well as the Page-level (restriction certain pieces of content or hierarchies of content to specific users/groups) You will need to have a paid subscription to Confluence to be able to utilize Permissions/Restrictions so please keep that in mind.

As a starting point, your client project could either be an entire Space in Confluence, with only those clients and your team having permissions to their respective Space, or else you could have a single "Client Space" with multiple branches of Pages with each branch being restricted to a different client.

Greg @ Data Reno March 27, 2021

Thanks Michael, I'll ponder these options, read up some more; try to make a smart choice.   

Cheers. Greg

0 votes
Cortlandt _ February 23, 2023

This so-called 

Best practice guides

Project collaboration using Confluence

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/guides/project-collaboration#introduction
also refers to "projects" in a totally confusing manner.

Furthermore that page claims that: 
"Choose a dedicated emoji for your project, and it will appear next to the title of the page across Confluence. "

Is that possible with Confluence Cloud?   So that the emoji will appear next to the page Title?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events