Redirect links from one page to another

Stefan Lenis January 17, 2020

I'm heavily using the linking features of Confluence and often have to merge pages.

Suppose I have 

• two pages A and B
  • three pages X, Y and Z
    • X links to A
    • Y links to B
    • Z links to B

When I manually merge A and B on page A and then delete B, I would like for Y and Z to link to A.

How can I achieve this without editing Y and Z manually?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are having a good week so far! Happy to help answer your questions about this.

When you manually merge two pages in Confluence, you are copying the text from one page to another, correct? 

The links in pages Y and Z are linking to the page B, but if you copy the text from B and paste it into A, then pages Y and Z have no way of knowing about page A. Therefore, it wouldn't be possible to automatically update those links.

This type of change would require that you manually go into the database in Confluence and correct any examples of the former page link in bodycontent to the new one. You run the risk of corrupting data when you do this, so you'll want to test it out first in a staging instance.

Another option would be to use an add-on available from Atlassian Marketplace, such a search-and-replace tool, or one that allows scripting

Have a look there and let us know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Stefan Lenis January 23, 2020

Thank you for your response  - I will look into these add-ons. 

I guess my described use case is an idea for a new add-on that specifically deals with bulk editing links.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hi Stefan,

No problem! Hopefully you can find something you can use. There may even be an add-on that does that, but I think the majority of them that can do that will also do other bulk tasks using scripting, which is what that 2nd category is that I mentioned.

If you end up finding something that can help you please let us know; it'll help a lot of people!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events