Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery password does not work

Catherine Tarrant December 9, 2022

I have lost the admin password for my Confluence site (server v7.3.1) and am following the instructions here:  Restore Passwords To Recover Admin User Rights | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.3 | Atlassian Documentation

After completing the changes and restarting the service, I enter Username=recovery_admin and Password=<the password I created>, however the screen simply refreshes and the URL changes to this:  http://localhost:8090/login.action?os_destination=%2Findex.action&permissionViolation=true

I tried it with a couple of different simple passwords to ensure there wasn't something wrong with the password, but still no luck.  No message, no nothing to indicate what the problem is.

Strangely, when I enter Username=recovery-admin (i.e. with a hyphen), I at least get a message indicating that the username and/or password are incorrect.

Any ideas?  I'm stumped.

2 answers

0 votes
Catherine Tarrant December 12, 2022

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ 

Thanks for your response.  I stopped the service, then updated the Java Options placing this text... "-Datlassian.recovery.password=ABCD1234" at the end (see screenshot).  I clicked Apply, and then OK, and then restarted the service.

Next, I launched the application on localhost and entered the new credentials.  It spins for a few seconds, and then the screen simply refreshes, no error message.  When I try a second time, same thing.

When I try a random account, an error message is provided, "Sorry, your username and/or password are incorrect. Please try again."

image.png

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.  I am considering trying the database method next.

Thank you.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

probably, that option is not stored at registry level and it caused your issue.

Ciao,

Fabio

Catherine Tarrant December 12, 2022

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ 

Thanks, I checked under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> Wow6432Node >> Apache Software Foundation >> Procrun 2.0 >> CONFLUENCE(etc)...

and the entry for the password is listed there, so I do not think that is the issue.

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Hi @Catherine Tarrant ,

please verify that you placed 

-Datlassian.recovery.password=<your-password>

in the right file and that you restarted your instance. 

Could you share portion of your file settings so that we can check?

Fabio

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events