Recovering accidentally deleted user macro

Mircea Marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2014

Hi,

I accidentally deleted a user macro - instead of clicking on Edit, I clicked on Delete :(

Is there a way to recover the deleted user macro? I have daily backups of the whole installation of Confluence.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mircea Marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

Ok, I finally found the solution so here it is.

This requires that you have a backup of the confluence database from before deleting the macro. In my case, the database is in postgreSQL so I will use that as an example.

1. Obtain the backup file: confluence_backup.sql
  2. On a local postgreSQL server create a new empty database called confluence
  3. Import the backup file to the newly created database as follows:
  4. Right click on the empty confluence database and click Restore...
  5. Select the backup file
  6. Press Restore
  7. Browse in the tree to confluence > Schemas > public > Tables > bandana
  8. Right click on the table bandana and select View Data > View Filtered Rows
  9. Enter the following query: bandanakey = 'atlassian.confluence.user.macros'
  10. Click on the Value cell (visible text should be <map>), select all the text and copy to a text editor.

Now you have multiple options. You could either look for the lost macro in the file, select the whole of it (everything between <entry> and </entry> inclusive the two tags) and copy it to your active confluence database (you can connect to it just like you did for the local one) or you could copy the whole content and replace it (if you did not change anything else, for example).

After that save the database and restart confluence. The macro will now be there again!

0 votes
David Pressley April 12, 2021

I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't gracefully prompt you for confirmation like nearly every other Confluence 'delete' action? 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2021

I have created a free app for user macros that fixes a bunch of missing pieces with user macros. One feature is that is gives you a delete confirmation. Also, if allows you to keep history of user macro edits so that even if you do accidentally delete it you can get it back with the history if you have that feature turned on.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218853/enhanced-user-macro-editor

Like David Pressley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events