Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Personal Space of Deactivated User

Carl Peterson June 20, 2016

If a deactivated user has a restricted personal space, can an admin recover the information in the personal space, in case there is any information in that space of critical importance to the company?

2 answers

3 votes
Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ February 5, 2018

When cleaning up I encountered that even with Sys admin privileges I wasn't able to recover permissions from the Space Permissions screen.

Thus I came up with this litte JS-hack to trigger "Recover" for those personal spaces anyways:

function recover(spaceKey) {
$.post('/admin/permissions/grantspacepermissions.action', {'atl_token': $('meta[name=ajs-atl-token]').attr('content'), 'spaceKey': spaceKey}, function(data) {console.log(data)} )
}

Just open the JS console when logged in and call the recover function with the spaceKey, e.g.  recover('~yours') - now you can do to that space what needs to be done.

petre mierlutiu September 24, 2019

Thanks. This almost worked. For cloud version you probably need to prepend `/wiki` or whatever is your path to Confluence.

Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ April 29, 2020

Two years later, I googled my own answer (cause I had forgotten about it) and it still worked like a charm ...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2016

Yes, you can, if you have sufficient permissions. Just go to:

https://<YOURS>.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/listpermissionpages.action?key=<KEY>

There you will find the Restricted Pages tab. Once there, click on the Lock icon to Remove Restrictions from the desired page.

Hope it helps.

Carl Peterson June 21, 2016

What is <KEY>?

Sandy Johnson June 21, 2016

and what is <YOURS>? Are you directing us to that person's personal space or a generic admin page?

<YOURS> is the site identifier, like https://companyname.atlassian.net, that was set up at the beginning.

Sandy Johnson June 21, 2016

This would only be for cloud installations, correct? What about locally hosted instances? I got a page unavailable when I tried my company's name.

I would say in that case to consult the Server Base URL in your General Configuration.

StephanieC September 7, 2017

I get "page not found" when adding our server base URL to any combination of the URL listed above. Is there another way to get to 'listpermissionpages' or might it be named something else? 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

To access the space permissions for the personal space, please try:

<Base_URL>/spaces/spacepermissions.action?key=~username

An example is:

http://localhost:8090/spaces/spacepermissions.action?key=~charlie

There is a tab on that page to see restricted pages as well as space permissions.

I got there by going to the personal space and choosing Space Tools>Permissions but if the space is restricted you won't be able to hit the landing page to get to Space Tools.

If the restricted space is not a personal space and you need to access the permissions you can go to Confluence Admin>Space Permissions and click Manage Permissions next to the space in the list of spaces.

StephanieC September 8, 2017

This is what I get with that URL.. Is it possible to make Personal Spaces accessible to the Confluence Admin by default? I looked for a setting an did not see one. 

Archivepersonalspace.png

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2017

If you are a member of the confluence-administrators group the personal spaces are accessible by default but if you have the Confluence Administrator global permission it does not include that access. There is a good explanation here:

Comparing the confluence-administrators group with the administrator permissions

StephanieC September 8, 2017

Awesome, Thanks ! Ill just create a ticket for my SysAdmin to do it! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events