Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Read only access for unlicensed internal users

I like using confluence and would like to publish content in it for a large number of users, but we only have a small number of editors.  I can't afford to license 6000 users, but I also don't want to make the content available to the public. 

Is there a way to license my content creators (200) and allow for the rest of the organization that is authenticated via SAML to have access to the content read only?

The alternative is to keep using sharepoint or to find some mechanism to export content. 

Any help much appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Jan 08, 2021

Hi Jason, welcome!

If you have Jira Service Management, it's possible for users without a Confluence license to read non-public Confluence content through JSM's customer portal. The intent of this feature is for knowledgebase articles. For example, if someone is about to open a ticket with your IT group because they're having trouble with a phone, the customer portal can show phone troubleshooting articles from Confluence.

Details about this feature are available here. The requirements for your scenario would be:

• You need Jira Service Management
  • The 6,000 users in your company that aren't licensed for Confluence would need to be added as "customers" in Jira Service Management
  • The Confluence space you want them to have access to will need to be added as the Knowledge Base for a customer portal in Jira Service Management

The major limitation here is that the unlicensed users have to view the pages through the Jira Service Management customer portal. The portal might not be the experience you want these folks to have if they need to browse through the space; and you can't just share a page/link with them for easy viewing.

I hope this is useful knowledge!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Daniel,

Are there any plans to have read-only confluence users who do not need to have a license?  With so many employees working remotely now the IP AllowList feature just is not feasible.  We need a way to have authenticated users who do not consume licenses or I feel you are going to lose a lot of users to other products like SharePoint or Google.  And forcing users through Jira isn't an acceptable approach either.

Like José Miguel Urtiaga likes this
0 votes
Bill Bailey Community Leader Dec 22, 2020

I am afraid not. This is another advantage of the server version, where you could have the server inside your firewall, and then turn on anon viewing. But with Atlassian forcing server customers to data center, that is also not a cheap option. But then again, staying on SharePoint is not a really good option, such an old system.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,788 views 8 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you