Read local backup

Martin November 24, 2020

I run the cloud version which is of course fine if the network connection is good and the server is not breaking.

I run a private knowledgebase with it and require always access, even if the internet connection is not stable.

For that a copy with the backup tool is generally sufficient, but I can't read that offline.

Is there any tool or way to pull out the important information from there?

I hope somebody can help me.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2020

Hi Martin,

basically the information that Diego has already given cover all scenarios that are realistic.

Reading the XML with an editor would make less sense - it also "works" great when "living" in Confluence. Even in case your connection breaks down you would have to handle the XML in some way - I doubt this comes in handy.

The more general question would be how to optimize the internet connection - from my point of view.
In case it is a bad connection this should be fixed/upgraded/changes but if you say "I am regularly in far-away corners of a desert" then I would neglect the use of a cloud solution.

So to sum up things the alternative approaches would be to export PDFs of the most important information, use a on-premise solution which relies not on the internet connection or to optimize (somehow) the current broadband connection.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2020

Hey there @Martin !

As I understand, you need to have access to your Confluence Site regardless of your current internet connection state. You need to have off-line access to the content created in Confluence.

The short answer is no, our Cloud platform does not natively support off-line work.

Our documentation covers this:

If you want to keep using our Cloud platform, the best approach would be to manually export your desired pages to an editable format, such as Word. After that, you can keep working them when offline and then just import them back into Confluence. There is documentation on this export and import process:

Alternatively, if you are willing to change platforms, our on-premises options may help you out. With on-premises, you do not need internet access to work with Confluence. All you need is a connection or access to the Confluence server running on your domain. Here, take a look at the differences between platforms:

If you only need to Read, but has no need to actually edit and interact with the docs, exporting them to a readable format may be sufficient:

Let us hear from you!

Martin November 26, 2020

Thanks @Diego 

Generally the cloud solution is desired with access from all endpoints as long as I have read capabilities all the time. No issue if the connection is fine and no server issues arise. But both happens and then I require a plan B. (The best solution would be a synchronization on a cloud drive but I'm not aware of such).

That plan B can't of course be site by site as I don't know what I require in case of issues.

I already tried realizing plan B by exporting a backup in xml format. Unfortunately I cant read that offline. The export in html or pdf does not support attachments or always breaks.

A solution for reading the xml would be my best choice. Is there indeed no possibility for such?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events