REST API How to create a team space Confluence free

Matt Dumont January 10, 2022

Hi I am in the process of creating a bespoke set of functions to link a bunch of our services.  One key hitch.  I cannot seem to be able to create a team space on confluence (e.g. viewable by all users).  From my googling it would seem that this should be handled either by changing our default space permissions or by specifying the permissions of the space.  Unfortunately neither of these options are available in the free version of confluence cloud. 

Am I missing something or is this simply not possible?

Thanks for your time!

1 answer

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Matt Dumont 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

You can create a Space even in the Confluence Free edition!!

You cannot edit the permissions in the free edition

The default permissions are used

Thanks,
Pramodh

Matt Dumont January 11, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M

Thanks for your quick reply!  I don't think I was specific enough.  I have definitely created spaces (both via the webapp and the GUI), but they are private e.g. others cannot see them and the following shows up under space permissions:  

Capture.PNG

Effectively I am after a way of clicking the "grant all users permissions for this space" via the rest API or changing our default permissions to always grant all users permission.

FYI my api call for this space was via a python wrapper as follows:

data = {"key": space_key, "name": space_name}
self.post("rest/api/space", data=data)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders