Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling a chart based off story points from Jira

BJ Thompson January 10, 2023

I'm working in Confluence and looking to create a chart based on story points instead of on the number of issues. 

Example: I've seen multiple examples of a pie chart based on the number of issues split out by Department (Department is an internal field we use), but I can't seem to find an easy way to get that same data in a pie chart based off the number of story points. 

any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @BJ Thompson 

Can I confirm a few things?

• At present, do you have multiple Pie Charts for the Department/Number of Issues - one per Department? Or one Pie Chart that shows issues per Department?
  • Are you looking for a Pie Chart that would show total Story points per Department?

---

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure summarising a number field in this manner is not possible natively - you'd need an App to get this type of functionality.

You could try Apps such as:

Or, look for another App from the Marketplace

Ste

BJ Thompson January 12, 2023

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I'm looking for one Pie chart that shows issues per department for the past sprint broken down by number of story points completed.

We just recently switched over to Jira, and in the past as well as right now, I do this manually in excel by updating the most recent sprints data creating 3 different pie charts, one for the most recent sprint, one for the aggregate of the past 4 sprints, and one for all time.  Gives a good trend to the PO allowing them to better prioritize what tickets to work on next by understanding if they have been putting more effort towards one department rather than another in the past.  I'm hoping to find a way to automate this. 

I'm guessing you are right and it needs an app, but wanted to at least reach out and ask to see if I missed anything.  Thanks for the list of Apps.  I'll take a look at those.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2023

Hi @BJ Thompson 

I think the summarisation of Story Points is what is key here.

The Pie Chart doesn't just show Issues per Department (which is simple), it shows Issues Per Department AND Story Points per Department (eg. 2+1+3+5 = 11).

For this type of metric in Confluence, you'll need an App I believe.

Ste

BJ Thompson March 23, 2023

Ste, Just following up, helpful to know that not possible directly in Jira.

FYI I did eventually find a workaround.  I used Jira Cloud for Google Sheets (Official)

The key being it's free, didn't want to pay for a 3rd party app.  I then used google sheets, formulas, and their charts to automate the charts I was looking for.  

Took a bit of setup, but seems to be working well for me now.  

Thanks,

BJ

Amanda Clarke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

Good on you for following up - this has annoyed me for years!  Why doesn't Jira have the facility to chart by story points? 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events