Pull data from SQL query, display with conditional formatting in Confluence

Thomas Ehardt November 20, 2015

Our overall end goal is to create decent looking project status pages in Confluence, including data from Confluence and JIRA. The former is internal-only and allows guest access; the latter is more public and locked down.

What I'm trying to specifically figure out is conditional formatting of data. Let's say that through a SQL query, we calculate a value that corresponds to a status. When displayed, that status field should then be styled visually based on its value (with colors, images, lozenges, etc.).

Some of the values will come directly from JIRA; some will be custom calculations for each status page. As an example, the simplest custom display would be the stoplight format (red, yellow, green).

I know that I can write a plugin to do this, but it seems to me that this is something that Confluence can already do, and I'm just not aware of it.

tl;dr: I want to get data from outside of confluence, change the way it's displayed based on various criteria, and have it be dynamic

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2015

That is a pretty typical use case for the SQL-query Macro from SQL for Confluence. Suggest using wiki for the output format so you can easily use wiki markup in your SQL select statements to do customized coloring or user the status macro for instance. Usually the SQL case statement is used for that.

0 votes
Thomas Ehardt November 23, 2015

Yep - turns out I was making this way more complicated than it needed to be!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events