Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish to Confluence

Jim Gilliam March 31, 2023

I need  a solution please. I need to publish HTML content from my tool, MadCap Flare, to a Confluence space. 

I've read through hundreds of articles, and still can not find a solution on how to make this happen.

2 answers

0 votes
Jim Gilliam April 3, 2023

I appreciate everyone's reply... thank you so much. But this is really frustrating me. 

I mean, Confluence gives Zendesk or WordPress the ability to publish or export/import for free.  MadCap Flare can publish to Zendesk, so it seems logical that Flare should be able to publish to Confluence without paying a third party.

But they just want to force us to use Confluence for documentation, and it just doesn't have the advanced features of single-sourcing content that Flare has.

Imagine a 500-page manual created in Confluence. Now imagine eight client-specific versions of that 500 page manual. What would you do if four clients needed 100 pages updated (to their specific scenarios ... all different scenarios), and four clients didn't need any updates? 

Would you want to update 100 pages four times (100 x 4 = 400 pages manually updated), or would you want to update 100 pages one time and automatically publish four client-specific versions of the doc based on conditionalized content?  I would choose the latter.  For example, I create one how-to article for multiple audiences and condition content for specific audiences (i.e., audience1 gets 'chapter 1' but audience 2 doesn't need that, so I tell Flare to not include chapter 1 for audience 2).  Then I publish one time and create multiple, customized versions of the same doc. This is single-sourcing HTML documents.

One of my audiences is Confluence users (who also refuse to use PDFs files). So PDF isn't a delivery option. 

This is why I want to publish HTML directly to Confluence Cloud, and it just becomes more and more frustrating to use.

NOW, imagine real-world and your business really has 8,000 clients.  In Confluence, you'd have to have 8,000 individual manuals and update each one (and many chapters might have the same updates).  So, in Confluence, I'd have to update the same article hundreds or thousands of times instead of updating ONE article ONE time... then publish 8,000 manuals.

I just want to publish the "confluence" version I've created in Flare to a Confluence Cloud space.  Good lord, this can not be this difficult.  Or at least upload the dang HTML pages into Confluence (which is also a no-no and not allowed by Atlassian).  There must be a way to publish HTML content to a Confluence Cloud space.

Frustrated and pretty much "not a fan" of Confluence Cloud so far.

Jim

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2023

Hi @Jim Gilliam ,

in my opinion you can use HTML Macro provided by external app (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221472/html-iframe-macro-for-confluence?tab=overview) and put html in that page macro.

Fabio

Jim Gilliam April 3, 2023

That would be nice if it were free.... but my team isn't allowed to spend more than our current license with Atlassian.  

If I knew how to create something similar myself, I would.  But even if I did know how, I doubt I have the right permissions to create and upload it.

Funny, huh? You may know or learn how to accomplish something, but then you're still struck down, so it's not worth trying right?

Jim Gilliam May 13, 2023

Plus, this is just like the Adavast HTML macro. It only allows you to write HTML code in the iframe. It doesn't allow you to pull in content.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events