Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Link for Certain Pages

Zac Hooper September 29, 2021

Hi, 

I want to share specific pages publicly but not allow anonymous user's access to other pages in the space. 

Allow public links on Confluence. is on for the site so I can create public links however, when I try to turn on a public link for a specific page it then turns on public links for every other page in the space. As a result, when I share the public link for the specific page an anonymous user now has access to the entire space. 

How do I ensure that I'm only making certain pages public?

Thanks, 

Zac

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

Hi @Zac Hooper and welcome to the community!

When I try to share just a page, the viewer does not have access to anywhere else besides this page:

public link.png

Can you please share what steps you take to share a public link? Did you try this link using a private window?

Zac Hooper September 30, 2021

Hey Alex, 

That's exactly what I want. 

For the site settings I've turned on the public links.

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.05.56.png

For the space i've set the anonymous permissions to allow for viewing and commenting. (Not doing so I ran into a problem of all the pages being inaccessible)

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.07.35.png

Then finally on a page I want to share I click share and activate the public link. 

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.09.16.png

If I access that link in a private window the user can see my entire page structure. 

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.11.11.png

What I then find odd is if I go to the other pages that should be hidden that have the public link activated. So I turn it off but that then turns it off for "Training Material" as well. 

@Prashant Sultania Thank you for your answer as well. So should I remove the anonymous user's ability to view in the space? I may have messed it up previously but I was finding that stopped any public links from working. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

@Zac Hooper 

You have to remove the anonymous access for this to work. Try it and let me know.

Okay so I turned removed any permissions on the space for anonymous users but now when I try to access a public link in a private window I get an error trying to load the page and then it redirects the page to login. 

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.55.53.png

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 19.53.39.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

Can you please share this public link with us?

Sure here you go: https://cimar.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/NTM/pages/285049178/How+to+Change+your+Notifications?atlOrigin=eyJpIjoiMThlZWRiYzcxYWI0NDQyYzljMjA5ZThkZTgzNmFkNTYiLCJwIjoiYyJ9

I've replicated the problem in a different space though, just because there was sensitive information in the other one. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

I'm not sure this is the correct link. Try for example this one

https://koxaras.atlassian.net/wiki/external/322666497/M2Q0NDI4MzIzMmJlNDZkODg0YTlkOGZhOWUyNWEyMGQ?atlOrigin=eyJpIjoiNzA3MTgwMzBjZGZmNDZjMjg2MGYwZGFmYjU2ZjM1MzgiLCJwIjoiYyJ9

Note that it has the word (folder/path) external in it.

Oh yes! I see. So I think I was getting the link correctly. 

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 21.34.03.png

But I think there may have been a slight UI bug where it didn't update the link provided until I refreshed the page. Likewise if I changed to another page it would appear that it had public link access but it would always provide me the internal link that I shared to you. Again by refreshing the page it displayed the share button correctly. 

https://cimar.atlassian.net/wiki/external/285049178/MzY1OWRmMmI2OTQxNGQ4NmE1MTdlOWE4ZmFkNTBiZTg

This link is working as I would expect. 

Thank you so much for the help! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

Nice @Zac Hooper! I'm glad :)

0 votes
Kuleshov Dmitry October 3, 2023

Is this feature still valid?
I don't see public link toggle and don't see it in global permissions

Kuleshov Dmitry October 3, 2023

Looks like not. But not so obvious

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2023
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Well @Bloompeak Support it depends. I mean when you create a new instance they are not available since the whole feature is paused. On my instance, is it available though. As well as for a customer for which I raised a request specifically for this. :)

Balaji Varadharajan May 26, 2023

Hello,

I am in need to expose few of my pages to general public, i have been creating these pages for some time in hopes that I can provide the public link on my website. With the feature being paused I am not able to do so now. Any idea when this feature will again be available? 

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

@Balaji Varadharajan unfortunately no, I don't know.

0 votes
Sven Schatter _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 30, 2021

Hi @Zac Hooper,

From the screenshots you've posted in your conversation with @Alex Koxaras _Relational_, it seems like you're looking to share some training materials with people outside of your Confluence.

My team has built a super nice app to do just that: it's called Scroll Viewport for Confluence. With it you can set up Confluence Spaces as "Content Sources" and publish them as external websites. If you want to exclude pages or page trees from that published website you can do that by simply adding a label to them.

Since it looks like what you're looking to share may contain sensitive information I'll also share with you that Scroll Viewport supports authentication. Meaning, you can make your readers login before they can access the content you want to share with them.

It really sounds like Scroll Viewport fits perfectly what you need to do here, so if you want to give it a shot, definitely take advantage of those 30 day free trial you get when you install the app. :)

Cheers,
Sven

0 votes
Prashant Sultania
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2021

Hello @Zac Hooper 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community !!

Permissions are setup on the confluence space, if you are allowing the anonymous users then it will implement on the space not the confluence page. 

Please read more about the Permissions:

1. https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/manage-global-permissions/

2. https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/make-a-space-public/

Let me know in case of any further help.

Thanks,
Prashant Sultania

Note: Upvote, Like or Accept Answer if it resolves your query

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events