Proper way to promote content change and using anchors

Raymond Wu May 30, 2017

We use pages as static material and when we change the content we make a copy of the page, edit the changes, and replace previous page with the new page.

Problem is when the pages have anchors to other pages and the referenced page is similarly "replaced" and the anchor follows the old/previous page.

How do we either stop that behavior OR properly use anchors so they'll consistently point to the original page name - in our case it's "Glossary"?

Thanks.

ray

2 answers

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2017

One option would be to copy the current versions to an archive location and edit the originals, so the anchor still points to the same original page.

Raymond Wu May 30, 2017

Hi Ann,

Unfortunately our "publishing" procedure is to have the WIPs separate - the main pages are publicly viewable but the proposed changes needs to be reviewed and approved which is why I do it the other way - copy the current page to a our "stage" which is restricted, changes are made, to it, shared to the people for review, the current/old content is then renamed to a different location (archive which Confluence then updates all of the dependent anchors), and then new page is placed into the normal location for public viewability and thus my problem.

ray

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Hi Raymond,

looks like you need some kind of publishing mechanism for your spaces.

We are using a plugin for that: Comala Publishing

With this plugin you are able to create a "draft space" as a copy of your public space and then edit your pages in the draft space and publish them to your public space. You don't need to replace pages, there's just a new version of the same page. 

Works fine for us and might help you. But it is not for free... And only for self hosted Confluence.

(btw. I am not working for them, just using their plugin, but I like it :-) )

Raymond Wu May 30, 2017

Hi Thomas,

Yup, you're right - am trying to manage content by going through a "publishing workflow".

Thanks for the tidbit - will see if we're interested in the plug-in but I am trying to do things OOTB :-).

ray

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events