Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem upgrading from version 2.8 to 3.5

Craig Hannah August 25, 2011

I'm attempting to upgrade our version 2.8 to version 3.5. I'm doing my initial testing in a QA environement and am encountering some problems. Some of the details of the install are:

Old version: confluence-2.8.1-std.tar.gz
New version :confluence-3.5.7-std.tar.gz
Java version: jdk1.6.0_24
Using Oracle 10g via a datasource
Using Confluence's standalone user management.
I've read through all the release and upgrade notes

What I have done is:

Installed the application
Configured server.xml, web.xml, confluence-init.properties, setenv.sh
Loaded our test Oracle schema with a dump of our prodution one
Copied our prduction Confluence data directory to a QA counterpart (pointed to by the conf-init prop file)

What happens is:

Accessing the app I am prompted to enter the upgraded developer license (on a fixonly/fixlicense.action screen)
I am told the update was successful and to restart Confluence
I do and recieve about 75 ddl traces (eg alter table, create index)
Startup completes in 5 minutes
Accessing the app again, I recieve an error message saying - 'Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state.'
Looking through all the logs that have been touched, there are no entries indicating an error situation

What makes this even more odd is that on my first attempt to do this upgrade I had a Confluence data directory from, what I believe, was an old 3.2 upgrade attempt. Going through the same process as above, everything worked fine

I appreciate any thoughts you might have about where the problem is.

Thanks,

Craig Hannah

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2011

Hi Craig,

Looking through all the logs that have been touched, there are no entries indicating an error situation

I'd double-check this. One guess I have is that you're looking in the wrong place. The atlassian-confluence.log is actually in the confluence-home directory (the data directory you copied from production). Make sure you're checking the logs folder in there. If you can find the snippet, post it here.

This seems like a good candidate for a support ticket. You might want to open one and our team will inspect the logs.

0 votes
Craig Hannah August 30, 2011

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for you answer. You were correct, the atlassian-confluence.log in the data directory did in fact have the offending error. The upgrade was failing because the global logo couldn't be found in the attachment directory. I manually placed the file it was looking for in the spot it was looking and everything went smoothly.

Thanks again,

Craig

Richard Yale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2011

Hi Craig,

Be sure to accept Jeremy's answer if it helped you solve the issue :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events