We have some legacy processes which update Confluence periodically using the XMLRPC API and wiki markup.
Previously, Confluence was "smart" about updates and if you stored a page over an existing one without changes, it would not create a new revision.
However, at some point, after the storage format changes, if using wiki markup, it would create a new revision even if there are no changes.
Due to our processes, this generates a sizable amount of unnecessary revisions which we fear might have an impact on performance (not to mention making reviewing a page's history unbearable and messing around with watches).
We patched our processes to fetch the page's existing content, convert our new content to storage format and compare both- if they match we don't update the page.
This works in some cases, but we've noticed that convert to storage format does not actually match what is actually stored in all cases and thus, for some page, we still create unnecessary revisions.
We've found a few transformations we can apply to minimize this, as it seems that Confluence is somehow normalizing storage format after converting from wiki markup, but this feels very hacky.
Is there an alternative way to prevent this problem? Unfortunately, converting our processes to not use wiki markup is a huge amount of work and we would like to avoid that.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team! July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures — and as an extension of our first post on what ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs