Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible bug in jira issue/filter macro

Jonas Sääv March 28, 2018

The Jira Issue/Filter macro cannot handle JQL queries that includes special characters like swedish characters (å, ä, ö and such).

E.g. this query:

assignee="Marie Tilja"  works fine

while this query:

assignee="Jonas Sääv" does not work

Both queries work fine in the Jira Issue/Filter dialog:

Capture2.PNG

but when the filter is rendered for assignee="Jonas Sääv" on the confluence page it looks like this:

Capture.PNG

However for assignee="Marie Tilja" I get a proper output:

Capture3.PNG

The bug applies also to other properties like labels

I created two labels "label" and "läbel"

The same issue as above arises  for the JQL queries:

labels in ("label")  works fine

labels in ("läbel") does not work

3 answers

0 votes
sebastien.dumon February 12, 2020

Hi,

We are working in french too and encounter this issue during our upgrade from 5.9.14 to 6.15.10.
Everything was working in 5.9.14 but filters with special characters did not work anymore.

On the contrary to Louis, F5 was not working for us : filter worked in previous mode (in the pluging), worked too on the preview of the page.... but didn't worked saving the page...

We follow this potential solution and it worked for us.

0 votes
Louis Drolet December 3, 2018

I just logged a very similar problem to Atlassian support. We are having trouble to display filter results in Confluence if the JQL request contains an accented character (we work in French). The Refresh link fails to display the issues, but hitting F5 succeeds.

0 votes
Jonas Sääv March 28, 2018

Hmm, when I wrote this, I really thought I was reporting a bug to Atlassian but it seems I made a post to the community. This was not my intention. Anyway, any thoughts on my problem are very welcome.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

If you've got a "starter" licence (10 users) then you get directed here because Atlassian don't really support them any more.  They refer starter users here, which has its good and bad points

The bad points:

• They may be ignored if the question is not that interesting to us, or they're poorly written, angry or could have been answered with a simple search of the docs
  • It does leave a lot of starter users feeling unsupported, especially when the community doesn't pick up the question

The good points:

• Making new users, or those first looking for support, aware of the community is great
  • There's loads of people here looking to get their badges, so you usually do get an answer
  • It's to Atlassian's advantage to filter requests - whilst most of them get dealt with here, the Champions can and do raise some of them with Atlassian directly, so they get a feed of "things people cannot possibly solve for themselves" (Mostly Cloud issues where the answer starts with "you need to read the logs")

Anyway.  I've seen something like this before, with Turkish admittedly.  Do you know what the collation on your Confluence database is, what versions of Jira and Confluence you have, and if you are using an external directory for your users?

Jonas Sääv March 29, 2018

Thank you for the explanation!

Collation on Confluence and JIRA databases is "C" whatever that means.

Confluence server version is v6.8.0

JIRA server version is v7.7.0

Jonas Sääv March 29, 2018

And I'm using JIRA internal directory as userdirectory for Confluence. 

BTW, a usable workaround in my special case is to use the login name instead of the full name in the query. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

Good spot on the workaround, and it answers a question I was going to ask.

You've not run into the problem I had with Turkish, as that was an external user source with incorrect Jira collation - Jira lost the accents and then couldn't find the user in the directory, even though it was right in the database (the collation broke search)

I am still concerned about the C collation - it should be utf8, or some other similar string.  Where are you seeing that?

Jonas Sääv March 31, 2018

I'm using pgAdmin as interactive tool for database administration (PostgreSQL 9.5), and properties for the jira database in this tools tells me that "Collation" is "C", "Encoding", however is reported as "UTF-8" This seems logical since I created the database according to the instructions from Atlassian:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/connecting-jira-applications-to-postgresql-861253040.html

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2018

Sorry, missed the last email on this.

I've got the same showing in my PostGres phppgadmin screens and I've just tried Swedish characters and they work fine, so I think we have ruled that out.

Only other thing I can think of is checking what the OS has for its character sets (on the server), and then going to Atlassian support, as I'm stuck.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events