It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Possible bug in jira issue/filter macro

The Jira Issue/Filter macro cannot handle JQL queries that includes special characters like swedish characters (å, ä, ö and such).

E.g. this query:

assignee="Marie Tilja"  works fine

while this query:

assignee="Jonas Sääv" does not work

Both queries work fine in the Jira Issue/Filter dialog:

Capture2.PNG

but when the filter is rendered for assignee="Jonas Sääv" on the confluence page it looks like this:

Capture.PNG

However for assignee="Marie Tilja" I get a proper output:

Capture3.PNG

The bug applies also to other properties like labels

I created two labels "label" and "läbel"

The same issue as above arises  for the JQL queries:

labels in ("label")  works fine

labels in ("läbel") does not work

 

3 answers

Hmm, when I wrote this, I really thought I was reporting a bug to Atlassian but it seems I made a post to the community. This was not my intention. Anyway, any thoughts on my problem are very welcome.

If you've got a "starter" licence (10 users) then you get directed here because Atlassian don't really support them any more.  They refer starter users here, which has its good and bad points

The bad points:

  • They may be ignored if the question is not that interesting to us, or they're poorly written, angry or could have been answered with a simple search of the docs
  • It does leave a lot of starter users feeling unsupported, especially when the community doesn't pick up the question

The good points:

  • Making new users, or those first looking for support, aware of the community is great
  • There's loads of people here looking to get their badges, so you usually do get an answer
  • It's to Atlassian's advantage to filter requests - whilst most of them get dealt with here, the Champions can and do raise some of them with Atlassian directly, so they get a feed of "things people cannot possibly solve for themselves" (Mostly Cloud issues where the answer starts with "you need to read the logs")

Anyway.  I've seen something like this before, with Turkish admittedly.  Do you know what the collation on your Confluence database is, what versions of Jira and Confluence you have, and if you are using an external directory for your users?

Thank you for the explanation!

Collation on Confluence and JIRA databases is "C" whatever that means.

Confluence server version is v6.8.0

JIRA server version is v7.7.0

And I'm using JIRA internal directory as userdirectory for Confluence. 

BTW, a usable workaround in my special case is to use the login name instead of the full name in the query. 

Good spot on the workaround, and it answers a question I was going to ask.

You've not run into the problem I had with Turkish, as that was an external user source with incorrect Jira collation - Jira lost the accents and then couldn't find the user in the directory, even though it was right in the database (the collation broke search)

I am still concerned about the C collation - it should be utf8, or some other similar string.  Where are you seeing that?

I'm using pgAdmin as interactive tool for database administration (PostgreSQL 9.5), and properties for the jira database in this tools tells me that "Collation" is "C", "Encoding", however is reported as "UTF-8" This seems logical since I created the database according to the instructions from Atlassian:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/connecting-jira-applications-to-postgresql-861253040.html

Sorry, missed the last email on this.

I've got the same showing in my PostGres phppgadmin screens and I've just tried Swedish characters and they work fine, so I think we have ruled that out.

Only other thing I can think of is checking what the OS has for its character sets (on the server), and then going to Atlassian support, as I'm stuck.

I just logged a very similar problem to Atlassian support. We are having trouble to display filter results in Confluence if the JQL request contains an accented character (we work in French). The Refresh link fails to display the issues, but hitting F5 succeeds.

Hi,

We are working in french too and encounter this issue during our upgrade from 5.9.14 to 6.15.10.
Everything was working in 5.9.14 but filters with special characters did not work anymore.

On the contrary to Louis, F5 was not working for us : filter worked in previous mode (in the pluging), worked too on the preview of the page.... but didn't worked saving the page...

We follow this potential solution and it worked for us.


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

6,539 views 5 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you