Porting trac wiki content to Confluence

Karl Stiller November 21, 2022

I am currently researching how to port an old Trac-based company wiki to Confluence.

1. I first found UWC but as that project is so old I was unable to run or compile that project properly as the Java library dependencies have moved and changed so much. It's possible that as that project is so old that it doesn't work with Confluence anymore also.
  2. I found https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210757/wiki-markup-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview but it is unsupported and I am unable to add it to my test confluence instance.
  3. The project at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221333/all-in-one-file-importer-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview looks like my only option.
  4. Trac to my knowledge does not have an export to word format.

I assume that this is a common problem and many people must have gone through this previously. Can anybody give me any other options on how to make this conversion?

Best regards,

Karl

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The UWC kind of fell out of use, and then support, as so many people had already migrated their legacy systems off stuff like Trac, that there was very little need for it any more.

I've had some success with it all in the past though (one project very recently) - firing up an old copy of Confluence that the UWC does work with, importing from Trac, then upgrading the Confluence so that a sapce export of the server version works easily with the import on the target system!

Karl Stiller November 23, 2022

Hi Nic,

Interesting! Though, unfortunately, I don't have an old copy of confluence, nor an executable UWC.

I'm no Java programmer, and my Java programmer colleague was unable to help me compile UWC. Are you able to point me to where I could find it compiled?

Is it possible to create an old version of confluence on the cloud service? I don't recall if that was an option when creating an instance.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2022

I don't know of a place that holds compiled distributables, I've always had to build it myself.  

Cloud is not a server system, you have no control over (or need to change) the version of the software there.

If you go down this route, you'll need to download an old server version of Confluence and run it locally, import the data via the UWC, then upgrade it to a point where exporting from it gives you a file that Cloud can import.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events