Please add placeholder text as a macro for new confluence documents.

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2021

Please add placeholder text as a macro for new confluence documents.I understand it's use in creation of templates, but this is also a useful feature when creating new confluence documents. 

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Hi Nate, and welcome to the Atlassian Community.

This is where you can get help and learn from others. It's not really the place to request new features. To request changes to Confluence, you can go here to submit a Product Suggestion.

Be sure to search here first, though, to see if your idea has already been submitted. If it has, you should cast a vote for it. Votes are how Atlassian knows what to prioritize. Here is a good article to learn how to use JAC:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/What-is-JAC-and-how-to-use-it/ba-p/1763554

As for your actual suggestion, placeholders are really only relevant for Confluence Templates. That's because templates are just that - templates - when creating a new Confluence page. 

If you spin a new Confluence page up from scratch, the starting point is a blank page. How would Confluence know what placeholder to offer, if there is no template?

A few final tips to help you get the most out of the Atlassian Community:

• Be sure to tag your question with the product (e.g. Jira, Confluence, etc) as well as the hosting type (Cloud, Server, Data Center), plus any other helpful tags.
  • Use "Accept Answer" to recognize the most helpful responses you get. That actually matters a lot for Community Leaders to retain their status.
  • Vote-up liberally when you like a question or an answer you see. That also helps others.

Hope this helps!

Tina Maddox May 2, 2022

I would disagree with the need for placeholder text.  There are some use cases where instructional text must be added for clarity and not just on a template.  This has been a huge blocker for myself in creating instructional forms where placeholder text would be a HUGE help if it were a macro.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

Hi @Tina Maddox. I'm unclear on your use-case.

Confluence pages for instruction (e.g. How-To documents) are typically viewed, not edited, by users. So placeholder text doesn't seem to add much value there.

For placeholder text to be useful to a user, they would need to be editing the page. You mentioned "instructional forms". So I'll assume these forms are pages that your users edit -- but the pages are not generated from a template? Where do the forms come from then?

Tina Maddox August 4, 2022

Hi @Mykenna Cepek 
Yes the forms are generated from a template where I input the placeholder text.

What I actually need is the text to stay visible when someone is viewing a document. ie. management, etc.

They do not want to have to click into an edit mode to view as their time is tight enough as is rather than just viewing for approval.

Does that make more sense?

The pages are to be used in training materials and needs to be as close to actual as possible when completed.

Gabriel Points January 11, 2023

Hey @Tina Maddox, What I'm doing as a work around is opening up the global template editor on one browser tab or window. I then add the instructional text I want to add to my Confluence page by entering into the template editor and then copying it to my Confluence page. Hope that makes sense/helpsinstructional_text_placeholder_text.png

Like Micheal Planck likes this
Tina Maddox January 11, 2023

Thank you @Gabriel Points I’ll give that a try. 🙂

Micheal Planck October 26, 2023

@Gabriel Points, you are a genius. Thank you!

Note: this means that the only thing Atlassian needs to do to allow us to use placeholders in regular page editing is add it to the menu. All of the support code is there; literally the only thing stopping us is that its not on the menu.

This would take you, what, five minutes to fix if you had the code? Fifteen if you were going to test it?

I have asked this question before, and I continue to find it a mystery greater than the origin of the universe: what do Atlassian programmers do all day?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events