Permissions- which one applies?

I was wondering what happens in confluence if you are part of an “edit” group and also part of a “view” only group? Which one will apply?

I’ve created a security group through AD for our marketing department and would like to add this group to a page but only give them view access but some of those members are already part of another edit group in the same page. Does the most unrestricted permission apply or is it like Windows which uses the most restrictive?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Both apply.

One gives them the right to edit, and the other gives them the right to view. There isn't really a "view only", there's just a group that you've chosen to call "view only". If you want it to be view only, then you have to remove the access to the edit.

Awesome, thank you :)

0 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Dec 02, 2013

Also, anyone who has edit access automatically has view access as well. So, you don't have to be part of both groups.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

255 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you