Permalink to specific version of a page

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2014

Is there a way to determine the url for the current version of a page (i.e. if the page were subsequently edited, and pages using the permalink would be directed to the previous version).

It is possible to determine the urls for previous versions of a page within the page history, however the url for the current version of a page always points to the latest version.

It is possible to do this for attachments. Is there any way to determine the correct url for pages?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2014

My workaround (until I hear of a better way to do it):

If you want to specifically link to the current version of a page (rather than always link to the latest version):

1. Edit the page and make a minor edit (i.e. an extra space somewhere) and add a comment when saving the page (something like - edited to obtain page version only)
  2. Go into the page history
    1. If the comment is not shown in the history, then the save was not successful (i.e. the change was too small to discern)
  3. Determine the url of the previous version of the page - this is the url to link to
rouven_h November 5, 2018

Four years later I still can't find another solution to this problem. That makes me sad.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Daniel Hauswirth (Admin Account) July 25, 2019

If you are currently on version 25 of a page, you could add  &pageVersion=25 to the URL (or ?pageVersion=25 if it is the first attribute)

https://wiki.example.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16048214&pageVersion=25

Alexey Konoplev January 6, 2021

Works like charm! Thank you Daniel.

2 votes
Anthony Wood January 17, 2019
  1. go to the page's 'Page History' (.../Page History)
  2. right click on the version you want to permalink to and select 'copy link address' in Chrome or similar for other browsers
John Hanson April 10, 2019

The steps here will give the URL for the previous versions, but not for the current version. A workaround to get the current version is to follow these steps to get the previous (current-1) version of the page, then increment the number after "pageVersion=" in the URL to match the current version number. It will then always link to the page as it is now, even after subsequent versions are added.

Like Ken Wong likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events