Performance tunning for Starter License (10 users)

bmidy23 August 7, 2019

Hi,

I like your tools (confluence, Jira ...)

We use theses one in our company since many years.

Now I m starting a personal project with a friend, so I purchase a starter license 10$/ year.

I installed it on my own Server (cloud)

It works but I think many default parameters/settings/pools are too high for my usage

It already use 7GB of my 8GB RAM machine

I already did some changes in order to help.

But I d like to know is there no typical settings, HowTo for starter Version (10 users) 

My cloud machine is by hetzner cloud with 

2VCPU

8 GBRAM

80 GBDISK SSD

My machine is running Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket on the same host.

It works but I think it could be optimized. 6.5GB of 8GB is a lots I found.

CPU Load is OK

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hello,

Thank for the appreciation of our toolset. Additionally, we appreciate the effort you’ve put forth already into looking into performance tuning within Confluence. There are a couple of factors which may cause resources to be consumed. With Confluence being so flexible and configurable, add customization or app can increase your resource utilization. If we look at a base Confluence instance there are few considerations we can take a look at.

1. If you don’t need collaborative editing, then you can disable the service and reclaim some memory. While this is not the best idea, if you’re strapped for RAM on your system, then this is an easy fix. More about this may be found at How to disable Collaborative Editing in Confluence if it cannot be disabled through the UI
  2. Tune your Database. Your database application is memory hungry and will consume any memory (per the size of your DB) it can get ahold of. It is suggested to set the upper limit of RAM usage to ensure your DB is not starving Confluence of RAM. There are multiple articles available from a google search to find how to restrict the RAM of your DB application.
  3. If you want to be aggressive with RAM consumption you may also explore adjust your JVM memory settings. We would suggest leaving the defaults as is and only increasing the memory. If you wanted to explore reducing the memory available you can do this, but as you grow, expect performance issues as you’ve capped resources.

In short, if you have 3 applications (Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket) all running on a single host with OS+Application usage sitting at 7 of 8GB then you’re doing fairly well. As you use your applications, even if you get idle resources down to 6.5GB of RAM, that memory will be reused as the applications are running, indexing, backing up, etc. 

Additional resources to review would be:

I hope this information proves helpful and you’re able to run your applications without issue while having great performance.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events