Performance in Confluence 3.5

Sozhavendhan M January 24, 2013

Currently we are using confluence 3.4 and its performance is so low and we are planning for upgrading it to 3.5.

Can you please state me the features which enhances the Performance of Confluence application by upgrading it from 3.4 to 3.5.

Thanks in Advance..

1 answer

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

A couple of questions....

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

BTW Confluence 3.4 wasn't a slow product, well maybe compared to what it is now but I suspect your problem is coming from somewhere other than just the core confluence product

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

I suspect the target is 3.5 because a lot of users want wiki markup and 3.5 is the last version of Confluence that has it. There's a lot of people seriously considering dropping it because of that (I'm aware of four large sites on the way to other systems before September)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

I have to agree with you on the performance side though - I've still got a couple of people on 3.4 and it's working fine for them. The users I know of on 3.5 don't really see much improvement in performance, so if there's an issue dragging down your 3.4, it's unlikely to be fixed by going to 3.5.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

The four large sites should just upgrade. I was as sceptical as anyone else, but, even though it's far from perfect, I'd never go back to typing in wiki markup until that horrible little text box. The trouble is you can't know that it's OK until you do it, because it takes a couple of weeks to get used to it, and when you are just kicking the tyres you never get past that phase. 4.0 was not good, but now it's fine.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

I think I may actually agree with Jamie on this, for a big site to walk away just because they don't like the editor is a little short sighted. Had a similar experience years ago going from Jira 3.13.x to 4.something. users howled and screamed and threated to go back to spreadsheets because it was "useless". Took a month or two but everyone came round again and the spreadsheets stopped.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2013

I know. I like Confluence 4. The people looking after them have tried (I'm not directly responsible for three of them, still working on persuading the fourth where I do have a voice), but it's going nowhere. It's not actually the lack of wiki markup that's the problem for them, it's the fact "I can't edit what I typed". The source editor is a step in the right direction, but until they can edit what they entered in the format they entered it in, it's not going to happen.

Jira is a different kettle of fish - lots of noise every time the interface changes, but easy to fix by simple "look, it's all there, just a different shape"

Sozhavendhan M January 24, 2013

@ Matthew: I went though the Release Note of 3.5, everything I found was New features in 3.5 nothing related to a higher performance.
We also tried some performance tuning as stated in :
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Performance+Tuning

But we weren't successful in performing all the performance tuning.

We couldn't identify the exact reason behind the laggish behavior of Confluence 3.4.6 .
It may due to excessive Logging.

Navigation within the confluence application is slow. Page loads very slowly.

So for better performance we wish to upgrade Confluence to a Higher version.

Also I wish to know whether to edit options are better than 3.4 or both are more or less the same.
To my knowledge 3.4 also support Wiki markup language. But for color option we had to code it, there are no customized menu for Color.

We are supposed to Upgrade to 3.5 before upgrading it to 4.X. If 3.5 gives a good performance we may wish to stop with it.

Sozhavendhan M January 27, 2013

Will upgrading to Version 4.3 (Latest version) solve the issue regarding the performance.?

Alex Suslin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

atlassian documentation is based on confluence, is it slow to you?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

I wouldn't be comfortable saying that just upgrading to 4.3 is going to solve your problem. 3.4 wasn't a bad performing system so it's not the software version that is the problem. I'd say you have some other problem causing your poor performance and if you just upgrade, you may just take the problem with you. It may also go away, it could come from a plugin and if that is also upgraded, it may remove a problem, you just don't know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events