Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Improvement Tips for Confluence Pages

Scott Gillespie May 15, 2023

What are some tips/best practices for Confluence page design regarding macro use?  I have read various posts and articles about varying performance with Confluence, but can find none that provide a simple list of functions and how they impact performance. 

For example, when is it better to use Table Excerpt vs. Page Properties.  Is there are best order for embedding macros?  Are certain SQL functions in Table Transformer more process intensive than others?

I realize that overall page content needs and information objectives may not allow ideal arrangements, but knowing this information may help inform design decisions.  

Thanks in advance for suggestions or pointers to documents I have missed.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Scott Gillespie 

Globally I would say that the more macros you have on a page, the most time it will take for the page to be rendered and displayed, so the lighter the better... If a page contains a lot of macros, embed one to each others severals times, etc... the page will take more time to load and display for sure. 

There are some perf report to compare server vs datacenter versions, but they are not dealing with the complexity of the contents but only with the amount of spaces, pages and data: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-data-center-performance-790795852.html

If you want to measure on your instance what is causing a lot of time to display for some pages or contents, you can setup a monitoring tool using JMX and study properties mentioned in this page to help you understand, for your usecase or usage, what is causing low performance: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/app-metrics-reference-1115674758.html

but can find none that provide a simple list of functions and how they impact performance. 

as far as I know there is no doc like that... 

I hope this help a bit ;) 

Dam.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events