Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of columns inside columns inside section

bjoernhaake February 2, 2021

Hello community,

I am unclear on the columns macro. I added a section and placed three columns on it. The three columns are placed over the entire page, no matter if I specify 10% or 30% for each column. This is actually how I would expect it to work.

Then I placed two columns inside the first (e..g. leftmost) column and specified width of 50% for both. I would have expected that the inside columns would also spread across the entire left-most column, so that the leftmost column is divided in equal halfs.

Instead, I get two very small columns that are placed in the upper left corner of the leftmost column. If I change the percent of the inner two columns I see that reflected - but they are stioll sitting onlky in the upper left, with a lot of space (1/4 of the screensize) to the right divider of the left outer column.

Sorry, I hope the description makes sense - it looks like I cannot attach a screenshot.

I am trying to show via text (only showing the leftmost outer column and the two columns inside the leftmost outer column)

------------------------------------------|
|      -------                                            |
|      |    |    |                                            |
|      |    |    |                                            |
|      |----- |                                             |
|                                                             |
|________________________________________|

Thanks and best regards,

bjorn

2 answers

0 votes
bjoernhaake February 5, 2021

Hello,

thanks for your response.

1.) No, it is hosted on-premise. Does this already mean that I am in the wrong place to ask the question? I do not get for example the warning about the expiring macro.

2.) I have added a photo, also it looks like it was cropped.

But you can see the inner two columns (set to 50% width for both) are on the left side of the outer column instead of equally spread over the entire cell.

3.) Don't know, actually :) I was playing around to make a custom table. I do have a satisfactory solution using a table instead. However, I am still curious to know why the spacing does not happen in a way I expect.

4.) Here is the code for the screenshot:

<p class="auto-cursor-target">
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="92c086ce-5ba4-46bd-91ca-9d80055c726a" ac:name="section" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:parameter ac:name="border">true</ac:parameter>
<ac:rich-text-body>
<p class="auto-cursor-target">Test</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="cf22990d-b299-4ca8-bf69-f26074b41222" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="012788d6-90bf-4c10-8879-9a883fa048d0" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:parameter ac:name="width">50%</ac:parameter>
<p>
<br/>
</p>
</ac:rich-text-body>
</ac:structured-macro>
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="fece8046-5bb9-4b03-a4a4-ed5816bfa9fd" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="c5a43d54-3368-4eac-b4a6-ea77ea23c37f" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>Section-Column-Macro.png

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2021

Hello @bjoernhaake !
As I understand, you are trying to use the Columns macro but the behavior is not exactly what you expected.

First thing I would like to tell you is that this macro has been deprecated from our New Editor (Fabric) and will be soon deprecated in our Legacy Editor too:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 08.26.03.png

You can check more details here:

With this in mind, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. Could you confirm that you are on Confluence Cloud and not on a on-premises deployment (Server or Data Center) of Confluence?
  2. If you create some dummy content in a Confluence, would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of the behavior you described?
  3. What is your final objective with the procedure that you tried to accomplish here?

If you manage to take a screenshot, be careful not to disclose sensitive information. Our community is an open space and everyone can see everything posted here.

Let us hear from you!

bjoernhaake February 5, 2021

Hello,

thanks for your response.

1.) No, it is hosted on-premise. Does this already mean that I am in the wrong place to ask the question? I do not get for example the warning about the expiring macro.

2.) I have added a photo, also it looks like it was cropped. But you can see the inner two columns (set to 50% width for both) are on the left side of the outer column instead of equally spread over the entire cell.

3.) Don't know, actually :) I was playing around to make a custom table. I do have a satisfactory solution using a table instead. However, I am still curious to know why the spacing does not happen in a way I expect.

4.) Here is the code for the screenshot:

<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="92c086ce-5ba4-46bd-91ca-9d80055c726a" ac:name="section" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:parameter ac:name="border">true</ac:parameter>
<p class="auto-cursor-target">Test</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="cf22990d-b299-4ca8-bf69-f26074b41222" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="012788d6-90bf-4c10-8879-9a883fa048d0" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="fece8046-5bb9-4b03-a4a4-ed5816bfa9fd" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="c5a43d54-3368-4eac-b4a6-ea77ea23c37f" ac:name="column" ac:schema-version="1">
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<br/>
</p>