Pasting cells into table with merged cells

Thomas Lindenberg April 2, 2019

I've stumbled across a usability barrier for when you want to paste data into cells in a confluence table which has merged cells in it somewhere. The current behavior is as follows. Let's take the table below, where pipes indicate merged cells. The cells of row 3 are empty.

[A1][B1][C1||D1][E1]
[A2][B2][C2][D2][E2]
[A3][B3][C3][D3][E3]

If I copy a 1x4 block from excel and attempt to paste it to row 3 by marking all cells, nothing happens. If I paste the block to A3 only, a sub-table is insterded into A3 only.

Interestingly enough, if I paste the block to a google docs spreadsheet, re-copy it and then paste it into confluence, everything works fine.
Also deleting or un-merging C1 and D1 yields the desired result upon pasting.

This should be addressed by the confluence developers, since I'd reckon it's not uncommon for users to have merged cells in a table for presentability's sake but need to paste data from an external source to expand an existing table.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike November 25, 2021

Hi Thomas! 
Any updates for this issue? 
I think I'v faced same problem... I can't past copied text to a table IF table has merged cells. 
If I unmerge them - works fine
Confluence server 7.13.2

Thomas Lindenberg November 25, 2021

Sadly no. I Hadn't really had a case where this feature would've helped, but at the time it was annoying as hell for sure.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events